V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to start another war, yes I have read alot of posts. I have a 2000 rk, stock motor, hsr42 carb, se ignition and coil, nothing radical, 35K on the motor. I was at the dealer this weekend he suggested I get the cam chain tensioners done-5 hrs labor. We went on to have a discussion about changing cams, geared or chain, se or s&s. I went home and looked at my service manual, and it didn't look like a 5hr job to change the tensioners, do you think I was about to get raped? 95 bucks an hour. To change to an s&s complete out the door 1200+tax. that was geared cams, adj. pushrods. I think I am going to keep the bike for a while, so geared seems the way I want to go. If changing the tensioners is not 5 hrs labor, I would think about just doing that not a whole cam job, but if it is I might as well do the cam. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
y2kflhr said:
I think I am going to keep the bike for a while, ...
If you're going to keep your bike, you might as well do the big bore upgrade and get the heads cleaned up along with your new cams.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I 2nd that. To reuse stock push rods you have to pull heads. So your 1/2 way there. Look for someone to bore your stock cylinders. Dealer will want to sell you 95 cylinders.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5 hrs seemed like a long time, 3 hrs seems more like it, do I have to pull the cams out to change the tensioners, the service manual looks like I can pull the cover off and they are right there, but I haven't seen it, so there may be more to the job.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes we talked about doing the pushrods, I didn't believe that you would have to replace them to do the tensioners, but its looking like I am wrong about that. looks like maybe a bb and cam in my future.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
To get to the rear tensioner you will have to either have to cut your push rods and install quick install adjustable push rods or remove your tank, upper rockerbox and rockers and reuse your stock push rods. You could check the tensioners yourself and see if they really need changed. $95 per hour seems high even for a Harley Dealer! Any good independents in your area?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome to Long Island NY, they are all expensive. I think I have it narrowed down, Andrews cam either 37, 21, 50, geared, adj. pushrods. Going to an indy this weekend, he will do the cam, retune my hsr42, and dyno tune for 1500, sounds like alot, but its the going rate here, I wish I was a little more confident, I would do the job myself.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If you are staying with the stock size and heads, the TW21 or 26 would be a good choice. The 37 likes more compression . I'd agree with the others , as long as it down that far , bore it to 95 , throw some cast flat tops in there and get a little head work done, you'll be smiling from ear to ear

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to talk to them sat. about boring it out to 95", how bad am I getting raped on the pricing? I just ran some numbers out of a jp cycle cat. and it doesn't seem like they are killing me on parts, labor is expensive in the big city!!! stealers 90-95 per hr. indies not all that much better. anybody got some vasoline to go with my cam lube????

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
y2kflhr said:
I am going to talk to them sat. about boring it out to 95", how bad am I getting raped on the pricing? I just ran some numbers out of a jp cycle cat. and it doesn't seem like they are killing me on parts, labor is expensive in the big city!!! stealers 90-95 per hr. indies not all that much better. anybody got some vasoline to go with my cam lube????
You might want to checkout Grock. He isn't far from NY I think. Then there is www.johnsonenginetechnology.com

Also look into a 98"kit from HDWrench with head done by Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
y2kflhr said:
welcome to Long Island NY, they are all expensive. I think I have it narrowed down, Andrews cam either 37, 21, 50, geared, adj. pushrods. Going to an indy this weekend, he will do the cam, retune my hsr42, and dyno tune for 1500, sounds like alot, but its the going rate here, I wish I was a little more confident, I would do the job myself.
If you're going to go with the cam only, Choose the Andrews TW-26G. It works well with the 88", but will support the 95" better if you choose to do that in the future. The 21 is too small with a 95"; and the 37 & 50 are too large to work well with 88".

If you've got a space to work in and a decent selection of tools, do the gear cam job yourself. It is really easy, I swear. Any specialty tools can be rented instead of bought. Gear cam sets with all the bearings and a gasket run about $550.00 online.

Everyone keeps pushing you to do the big bore since you are going to be "in there" anyway. I just want it clear to you, if you choose to use adjustable pushrods, you won't be "in there" to do a top end...and it will cost you more money. The stock pushrods get taken out without tearing into the top end and the adjustables are collapsable to slide right into the push rod tubes.

If you do go big bore, it will save you roughly $120.00 which is the cost of the adjustable pushrods....since you won't have to cut your stock ones out, they can be reused.

Hopefully your options are clearer now.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you sound more realistic for my budget!!!
As much as I would love to do the heads, bore, etc. I would like to avoid the never ending money pit, I really would be happy if I could have just changed the tensioners like a set of brake pads.
I looked and I agree the 26 looks more in line, I will have to find out why the indie never suggested that one. Although I do believe I could do it myself, I think I would rather let a pro do it.
Thanks to everyone on this forum, I wouldn't have even known about the tensioners, I have been riding for over 20 years, sporties, low rider, now the RK, but you can never get to much info.
Again thanks to all for your help.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
y2kflhr said:
you sound more realistic for my budget!!!
I really would be happy if I could have just changed the tensioners like a set of brake pads.
You can...and you don't have to do it as often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
cam suggestion

In reply to cam suggestion and tensioner, you find by checking with a well respected harley dealer, that their is a new fix for cam tensioner for older twin cam. Parts cost is about 100.00 dollars this a hydraulic oil tenisoner. I have a 2000 flht with 35,000 miles and does not use excess oil runs great for stocker. besides oil misting (that another subject) third breather set up. I and friend just recently installed andrews 26 gear drive, not running yet, waiting for adjustabe push rods via ups. Install not bad , bought tools off e-bay. My theory is I don't want to remove cam cover every 20,000 and inspect for damage coming from cam tenisioner. I went with cuting stock push rods(bolt cutter) and installing sreaming eagle push rod kit, push rods and covers, o-rings complete kit for about 114.00 dollars off internet this a lot easyer than removing gas tank and roker covers etc.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did you get the bike running yet? if not I am curious when you do what your reaction to just putting the cam in was, what do you figure the total cost with tools was? I found another indie willing to do the job for about 1K, I am going with the andrews 26 also. I am torn about doing the job, the more I look the easier it seems, I am not a full blown mech. but I believe I am capable of doing it, but if I do the math, with the tools that I will probably never use again, I might as well let a pro do it.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
y2kflhr said:
did you get the bike running yet? if not I am curious when you do what your reaction to just putting the cam in was, what do you figure the total cost with tools was? I found another indie willing to do the job for about 1K, I am going with the andrews 26 also. I am torn about doing the job, the more I look the easier it seems, I am not a full blown mech. but I believe I am capable of doing it, but if I do the math, with the tools that I will probably never use again, I might as well let a pro do it.
RENT THE TOOLS!! SAVE SOME MONEY!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok how much? where? I am convinced. do these cams (andrews) need to be shimmed? where can I get specs if they do? who is going to let me call them when if I get in 2 deep??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts