V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 years ago I built the motor in my 2003 Road King to the following specs: 98" Millinium Kit, Woods TW-6HG cams, S&S gear drive, Hillside Cycle Stage II heads, adjustable pushrods, stock lifters, S&S roller rockers, stock head pipes with Kerker mufflers, bored throttle body, 10 - 1 compression, 205 ccp, Race tuner. Motor pulls hard. First couple of rides this spring I realized how dam loud the motor is. Sounds like it is coming apart. The valve train noise is excessive. I measured my pinion shaft runout at .002. From my reading this is way to much. My plan is to pull the TW-6HG cams and the Wood valve springs, replacing with a chain drive cam and different springs. I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement cam for the TW-6HG that will work with my current motor? I don't mind giving up a little performance for a quieter motor.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I might suggest andrews tw55's. you might want to consider a little compression bump to help the bottom if going with a "longer" cam. Or..you could drop the compression with a thicker gasket ...watch the squish..to 9.8 and run a 37g (nice and quite also)...as long as the heads have the port velocity for good fill at lower rpms...Need other experts on the StageII heads to jump in here.
And .002 is not excessive on the pinion....after all your concern is valve train noise ..not gear whine.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I'm not saying this from my experience, it's just what I read here and sounds correct.

Alot of these springs have a 190lb seat pressure. If you change to 160lbs the noise will quiet down and the valves will not float. I don't see that you have installed the Baisley spring, if you haven't done this, I would do this first and see how much it quiets down. I have this same problem with the SE251s and valve noise. You might want to just try the valve springs before going to all the work & money changing the cams that may not need changing.

Chris

Jamin said:
2 years ago I built the motor in my 2003 Road King to the following specs: 98" Millinium Kit, Woods TW-6HG cams, S&S gear drive, Hillside Cycle Stage II heads, adjustable pushrods, stock lifters, S&S roller rockers, stock head pipes with Kerker mufflers, bored throttle body, 10 - 1 compression, 205 ccp, Race tuner. Motor pulls hard. First couple of rides this spring I realized how dam loud the motor is. Sounds like it is coming apart. The valve train noise is excessive. I measured my pinion shaft runout at .002. From my reading this is way to much. My plan is to pull the TW-6HG cams and the Wood valve springs, replacing with a chain drive cam and different springs. I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement cam for the TW-6HG that will work with my current motor? I don't mind giving up a little performance for a quieter motor.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
160 on the seat is not enough for a 6H cam you need to be 180 . But .002 on the crank is not going to cause the noise, the cam is just plain loud due to the ramp angles that Bobby runs. There are other cams that you can run. You have the 10.5 kit correct?? Let me know what your comp ratio is and we can go from there.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HDWRENCH thanks for the repley

HDWRENCH, thanks for the repley. I bought the 98" 10.5 kit thru you, along with the TW-6HG cams, S&S roller rockers, and adjustable pushrods. Last year in an attempt to quiet this beast down I ordered a set of new lifters from you. The lifters were a RP part #190-018 (RP Hydo-Rev Lifters). I have not installed these yet. I plan on installing this week, but I have doubts on whether these will be successful in quieting this motor down. Any additional suggestions would be helpful.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The 585 cam comes tomind it is very quite and has gentle ramps. The camwould work well, The 570 will work as well. I have several customers that have the 570 in a 10.5 98 kit

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I wouldn't switch to chain drive cams your S&S gear set be used on the cams you decide to put in. HD has a good suggestion with the 585s but the seat of pants with the TW6HG will never be found.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hdwrench

HDWRENCH, will the Woods springs (W160) work with the S&S570 or S&S585 cams, or will I have to change these out? Would I need to increase the compression (mill the heads) to work with the new cam?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
HDWrench,

What about the Andrews 31G for him?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just my luck: had 31 g's put in a week ago-very happy with them w/10.5-1 ratio . Same time they were being installed, i learned from andrews tech that 32g is in production. Supposed to be same or similar to 31g, bur w/.570 lift
what a difference a day made.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The 31 would work to, I like the 585 and set up right it will flat out run, YES te 6h hits hard but I can get the same from a 615/585 Our cam with our heads. ANd without the issues of the noise. I donot think the 32 is going to be flying out to the shelves just yet.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Yep, my last season with the TW-6HG ALSO. I have a lot of fun with it but I want rid of the NOISE. I am so afraid of not having that throttle or throw you strait up feel I have now.

Guess I will see Steve for 98" in blond, and a set of cams as I am trying to keep my current 10.5:1 compression.

Will ride it this year though to get a little more money out of it. They are a stump puller, but they do trash around a bit also.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
LAF what was your dyno #s ?
Don't have a current but when I FIRST put the TCFI on and "thought" I had it right it was high 80/90's HP/TQ, however it was so far off on AFR that at WOT I was into high 10's and lower 11's, pig rich. With the help of GROCK I have to say the I at least improved that. Today on a log file I was at 109 MPH running 13.3 AFR and a IAC of dead line 35.

I am due for a pull and will post them.

Only thing I have to say on the Dyno numbers is they are just that, numbers as you well know. How a bike rides is a whole other story. When I twist this throttle and hit about 28-3400 RPM I best be planted and holding on or it will try to take the bars out of my hands. That is what I wanted and got, but I know this is my last season on them. They just are too noisy for me anymore, maybe I am having a aging spurt?

While you are here, what sticks do you recommend for the 6HG replacement, keeping noise down, and compression at 10.5:1?

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
If you want a quiet cam with real good 'seat of the pants torque' look into Head-Quarters HQ 0039g or HQ-TC-575. I'm running the 0039 and was pleasantly surprised at how it pulled. I've heard the 575 pulls even harder. Very quiet too. Any guys w/ HQ cams chime in!! I know there aren't that many of us but I love mine and I'm sure you guys do too. When I was reseaching my build, I called Hillside and they pushed the Woods cams hard. I'm glad I went w/ the HQ!! You don't need to run a .650 lift cam to get good tq. Just my-2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Hey Jamin
why not put in the new lifters and try o/size gears if you have 2thou runout. that brought into line when I had about the same runout. I had about the same runout and the reduction in noise was amazing.
regards ****

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
FWIW, I've never heard anything but good about HQ stuff. That said - I'm running a 98/S&S 585 build via HDWrench - and have nothing but good to say. I wanted performance and longevity with good "street manners" and I got it. The bike is a pleasure to ride and when I crack it - it goes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts