V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Injected police king with a cam sensor problem. Is there a way to get it to operate correctly while ignoring the CPS?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
You sure it's a problem w/ the sensor and not the sensor just doing its job?
Have the new style bearings?

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Im sure

New bearings new cams...everything is adjusted right

Starts hard....I can get it to start...eventually....the front cyclinder just doesnt fire. Good plugs and wires. Gives cam sensor fault when I reteive faults. No funky noises either.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You can put on an ignition from an 01 or later. I'm using the SE adjustable MAP ignition on mine and it doesn't use the cam sensor. I haven't looked in the book but I'd suspect most of the SE ignitions probably don't use it. Course you could probably replace the sensor much cheaper.

I'd also check the sensor wire connection under the right side of the engine. Corrosion or a loose connection could be a problem. Everything in that connector under there should be cleaned and dielectric grease applied to pins and sockets.

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything short of replacing the entire fuel injection system?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Forgot you had said fuel injected. If memory serves me, the 01 MMI touring bikes did not have a cam sensor. If so, I would think all you would need would be the ECM from an 01 but I'm not that familiar with EFI.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 2001 FLH has a cam position sensor ( i know cause it went bad once). Wasnt it the 2001 Dyna that did away with it, then all 2002-present?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Akebhart I have I have a '01 e glide classic that I converted from MM EFI to carb last year. Entire project cost under $500. Other than a few minor jetting issues, my bike is running awesome. If you want the parts list just let me know. Entire project was a plugin and very easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts