V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a used 99 XL 1200S last Friday as a second bike. My FXSTS is sick and is awaiting new parts. This is my first Sportster experience and I really like the way the bike runs and handles. Thanks to the links that were provided by Misguided, I have read and read and read some more trying to gain all the knowledge that I can.

I am now paying the "TAX" as I have ordered a set of Cycle Shack Slash Cut Slipon's and the K&N Thunderslide kit. Gotta run down to the stealer and get the SE Air Cleaner kit. I believe that this will kinda get me to the Stage .75 or 1 area.

I've been looking at Andrews camshaft selections and I am having difficulties in which one to choose. I would like to choose between the N6 grind and the N8 grind. Any comments on these two cams?

My apologies if this if posted in the wrong fourm, but since it's Sportster related I though I'd be safe here.

Regards,

Charles

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry, don't have any info on the cams, but have to ask. Did you order the slip ons thru a local shop, or find a place on-line that sells 'em?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them from gopartsdirect. Just go to the price checker, select the Drag Specialties catalog and enter in part number MXL-134SSA. $102

Charles

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
1st you dont need the T-slide kit. Dynojet OK but rejet handdles it well.
N-8 is way to much cam for a stock bike even the 9.6:1 CR of the sport.
For the basicly stock Sporty-sport the Thunderheader ,rejet S/E A/C and a performance igiton is all it takes to get around 75 +HP from that bike . With out head work cams are a down time with 5 HP gain if that + you still need the other stuff to make them work right. N-4's buy the way for stockers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
cams

Its a sport model with what are often called w grind cams. these are better cams than regular sportys. The n6 and n8(which I have )will give you a high rpm(4000+) benefit while trading a weaker low rpm torque feeling. I have just what you are looking for in a cam/dyno comparison. Check it out and if you have more questions ,let us know.

·
Registered
245 Posts
dont think the link worked

Try this...
no it didnt work..i will email you the file.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

Boba_Fet, It's my understanding that Cycle Shack actually makes the slip-ons for S/E. I've read this several times. Big price difference too!

Kerry, I sent you an email requesting the dyno comparison. Thanks in advanced.

Kags, I have already ordered the T-slide kit. Is there a down side to this kit? Or are you saying that its just a waste of money and jetting will do the job just as well.

Charles

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Rejetting dose the job well, not quite as good as but the 1-2 HP gain is money well spent? There can be a down side (for the street) if you get to much slide "flutter" it will reduce HP. It take a few things to happen to start the slide fluttering but WOT usally stops it and if your racing where elese are you? You should build your ride for what you will be doing with it 90% of the time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think Cycle Shack USED to make the Screamin' Eagles, now commonly known as Screamin Eagle I's. The current version (Screamin Eagle II's) are not made by Cycle Shack, I don't know who makes them. They are bigger and fatter, and quieter than than the Cycle Shacks. The Cycle Shacks are LOUD, they sound like straight pipes, real bitchin', I just put a set on my Sport today. I am going to do the re-jet and A/C after break-in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
cs vs se

I have used both . The new se 2 slip ons and the cs 134ssl??? slip ons. The cs are narrower and are louder. the se ones are a deeper potato sound . the cs are a bit raspier. the cs did ad a couple ponies for me over the se2 pipes. I will recommend the cs cause they are louder ,flow better and are cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts