V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this group and have searched the web for anything I can find about this topic. I hope this group can help me:

My scooter is going in this winter for the 95" kit with flat top pistons. The dealer said he'd comp the labor if I do cams at the same time. Sounds like a deal to me.

My riding style is mainly city riding with some 300 mi trips. I'm looking for a good torque cam from HD that will best suit my riding style. I do think that some roll on power would be good when 2-up riding.

I see several posts that quote cam specs in certain RPM ranges, but without a tach I'm not exactly sure where these ranges fall. I like the stoplight to stoplight blasts, and cruising the hills in the torque range.

Any input as to which SE cam gives the broadest torque band without headwork would be appreciated. I don't plan to do heads at this time.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Jeff I left a post yesterday re a stage 2 kit i just added to my road king. I have no experience with other HD cams, other than what came stock, but it has tremendous torque and power cpmpared to what it had with the stage 1. As I asked in that post, I can't figure out why the stage 2 helps as much as it did, bit certainly no complaints. My guess, based on auto experience, is that bigger cams will move the HP up the RPM range in an engine not paticularly happy at higher rpms. Always trade offs.

You're going to luv it w/ the bigger motor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone have an opinion on the SE204's?

I've read they are an improvement over the 203's but not sure why.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You will get more high end horsepower @5800 and less low end torque @3000 from the 204 compared to 203. It was designed for carbs so if you have EFI you will need a custom map.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what about the SE 257? What is your opinion of dependability and performance? should it effect the mpg any differently that the 203?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Big bore kit with stock heads and flat tops doesn't have anywhere near CR to pull that cam, it will fall on it's a$$.

It is also risky to run a .570" lift cam with stock heads and seat pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I concur with HIPPO! The 257s are somewhat of a radical grind. I'm running them in a 10.5 to 1, 95 incher with SE heads and it's a bullet. High pressure valve springs and hi-comp are required to make these cams work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear. I am upgrading from a tricked out EVO(branch heads, ev27cam, s. traps,dyna 2000 and cut a front gear tooth) to a stage 2 high output SE set up. which includes upgrades heads and the 257 cam. You are correct about it and stock heads. I would appreciate your opinion about the SE stage 2 high output package would compare to what I had. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
In all probability quite similar. If you're going into the cam chest and swapping out the jugs and pistons, why not go the extra grand and pop for the heads and forged hi-comp pistons along with the 257 cams? The labor will not change since the mill will be knocked apart to the same extent anyway you slice it. You'll most likely be happier with the build and less apt to want to upgrade again.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I would appreciate your opinion about the SE stage 2 high output package would compare to what I had.
It will teach you the difference between Torque and Horsepower and the difference from a dyno to the street. I'll wager you'll like the Torque. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the input. I just needed to hear from someone other than the Dealer, about this setup. Yeah, in my old EVO, I liked the cut gear. Lots of mid range pull. But the milage went into the toilet with the higher RPMs. Always trade offs...:) I agree with Hippo torque will be good. Just hope dependability is. Learned today though that Bagger with this set up and 2:2 exhaust (what I wanted) has a sputter problem at 1800rpm. Factory service wrench says EFI is picky about back pressure. I think they are trying to sell me SE pipes. I want super traps. Had good performance with them in my EVO. Any way they advised strongly against 2:2 headers. So I found one person with this problem and he opted out for the $500 EFI tuner. to date still not fixed?? oh well...

·
Registered
55 Posts
well bigger isnt always better with upped perf. parts comes the need to be able to perform xtra maint. ie. retorquing and sight checks among other things i recomend calling around to diff shops explain your riding needs and what you PLAN to do to your engine and jot down their replys on cams do not tell them you have already picked a shop for the work this can unfortunatly inhibt their reply but my own upgrades include k.b. 10.2.1 hi comp hi performance pistons, stock heads polished and ported,new stock valves roller rockers hi comp. springs 211 scrm eagle cams, hi flow filter/breather new cam bearings ,updated sprung washer in oil pump bub drag pipes and a ness oil press. gauge i ride so im comfortable with what i have i may add a mapable brain and im carbed with a dyna kit and jets but this is what i like... torque is my basis for what i did harleys are "tractors" not rice burners so by concentrating on torque i get the horses make sense? later ...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had the stage II on our low rider and with the 203 cams Mikuni carb and V&H pipes. Its was fast BUT, as my wife says "power is important" so now we are having the stock heads ported and polished, High compression pistons, 257 cams. Wrench said that we should be at 100tq and 95hp. Doing the same to my Roadglide - 01- 1550SE but having the injectors bored and going to the thunderheaders. We are both looking for some kind of 12 step program to deal with this more power thing. At least for my wife she the one with the problem ???? FYI, 37 days until SPRING !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a follow up. Had the stage 3 kit done. SE heads, 257cam, ect.......The old ultra runs like a rocket. Lots of power, maybe too much? Nahhhhhhh :) . Anyway, runs as promised. I am kinda big and so is the old lady, but with 2 up at 80 we made about 28mgp. Myself, those wingers won't see me in the rearview mirror....Now it is "broken"in, I plan on a dyno test just for kicks but street performance is great and the numbers don't really matter as much as just curious. Maybe I won't and just buy Bud Lite for the trip to Mecca in August.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok check this okstuff youve never heard of so get your pen and paper and write this down and erase the hard drive......white brothers e seris 2into1 pipes..bobby wood .510 " gear drive cams.......24 tooth motor sprocket and a 37 tooth clutch basket... a bob wood 340 cfm hiflow air filter.. harley is only 135 cfm.... and a programmable ignition system port and polish the heads for sure they are bottle necked worse than the evo... dyno to tune your bike to several differnt maps ...riding touring scootin round town.. not to find horses but to find best gas consumption and performance for each application dynos are by the hour not the runs so go there with what you want to find out on paper and the techh will show you the graphs dig? well gotta scoot hope this helps you out although its not what i did this time around my research has led me to the best combos for a flhr twinkie as stated above and you can bet ill be doing this asap....diehard////;

1 - 17 of 17 Posts