V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Ok I know this type of post appears all tooo often and is an opinion request but Im really at a loss here.
Heres the deal:
Just picked up the following: (done from MY stock parts off my 2002 Dyna Superglide Sport by the way) Thanks for footing the bill Santa, LOL

- 95" bored cylanders
- Dimensional & street ported heads Unshrouded, multi angle jobbed w/ oversized valves (nail head type ,, NO dimples) w/ .570 lift springs
- Weisco 10.5 -1 compression forged dome top pistons / rings kit , reliefed for oversized valves, all fittment to the cylanders performed
- Valve springs checked and approved for up to .555 lift (cant quite figure this one out) maybe heat expansion allowance ???
- Complete Top end gasket kit included

Herein is my dilemma:
Im only cleared for .555 lift so Im precluded from several hot cams.
Im looking at the TW55 Cams at this point.

My machinist was looking at Cams and mentioned "OVERLAP" several times but I am not familiar with this term so if someone could clarify I would appreciate that.

Im also considdering taking the heads back to him and have him tub out the valve seats and having the rockers and covers reliefed if necessary and have him install higher lift springs. (I didnt specify the .600 lift I wanted DAMNNNN)

Your Opinions and thoughts are appreciated. :confused:

By the way,,, Im running the Crane Fireball Hi4-TC ignition so im fully programmable and adjustable. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well,,,
I went ahead and ordered the Andrews TW55 cams (bolt in style) after consultation with several techs from several shops around here. Everyone DID suggest the gear drive conversion but at a tag of over $670.00 not installed, I decided to stay with the stock drive since many people felt that the gear drive was only really necessary for over .600 lift set ups. I may change over later, but for right now finance dictates this route and it will allow me to move between manufacturers if I decide to try another make and grind.

P&M explained "overlap" to me as an event when BOTH valves are open at the same time during a specific cycle. This is important for 10.5 to 1 compression due to their tendancy toward detonation. Proper overlap, duration, and lift combinations will actually decreases the compression a bit, but by using the proper cam profile combo, it gives that hammering grunt off the line with high compression, while bridging the gap to big HP at upper rpm's and NOT blowing chunks off your pistons or grenading your crank and wrist pin with ping. They actually ran a computer program (designed for this task) on over 10 different cams and the tw55 was the clear winner in the simulation.
Just figured I would share the results and info I gathered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tw55 cams

How was the end result. Good rideability? Low, Mid, High power?

Have you had any problems with theTW55 being chain drive?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TW-55 is a real winner in my book.
I have PLENTY of grunt off the line , a bit soft mid range 2400 to 3100, and a MONSTER thereafter.
The cam is REAL noisy in chain drive and I WILL be converting to Gear this winter after seeing the tensioners,,,, WOW.

I added a Zippers S&S Super E-2 carb set up with thunder jet and the things pulls like crazy straight through 5700 rpm's and bangs off the limiter in 3rd and 4th (Im not brave, or dumb, enough to try 5th)

I'll be at the Dyno for tuning on November 5th and get it dialed right and post the numbers, but I would venture to say that Im REAL close to the 100's if not beyond.

I will tell you that the cam lacks the punch whith 2 on the bike until 2900 rpm's but after 3000,,,,, HOLD ON HONEY!!!!!

LOL, she REFUSES to ride without the sissy bar docked now!!!!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dynatherapy said:
I have PLENTY of grunt off the line , a bit soft mid range 2400 to 3100, and a MONSTER thereafter.
The cam is REAL noisy in chain drive and I WILL be converting to Gear this winter after seeing the tensioners,,,, WOW.

I added a Zippers S&S Super E-2 carb set up with thunder jet and the things pulls like crazy straight through 5700 rpm's and bangs off the limiter in 3rd and 4th (Im not brave, or dumb, enough to try 5th)

I'll be at the Dyno for tuning on November 5th and get it dialed right and post the numbers, but I would venture to say that Im REAL close to the 100's if not beyond.

I will tell you that the cam lacks the punch whith 2 on the bike until 2900 rpm's but after 3000,,,,, HOLD ON HONEY!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
tw55 cam

Dynatherapy said:

:)
I put the TW55 into my FXDX, 95 inch, branch heads, mikuni 45, high comp pistons. It give good rideability and a prettty good punch up top. If you are really going to go with gear drives, I would seriously consider the Jerry Branch version of the Andrews cam. I had the chain drive version before my CAM bearing (old ball, not roller) gave out. Chain drive version is on backorder. That cam was amazing immediate response and the top end was un-beleivable. I went down from 98 HP to 95 with the TW55 which is a little smoother. The folks out a Branch will give you lots of help dicussing the cam as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the cams you're looking at have an OVERLAP in the 20 to 30 range, you'll get a lot of very low end performance. It'll pull like a tractor from 2000 RPM. That's why the Andrews 26 cam is popular with Baggers. Considering you have a Dyna...excellent choice by the way, I'd consider a cam that that give you better mid to upper range RPM performance like the Woods 55.

Don't rule out bolt in cams! You don't need to go right to the limit of your valve lift limits to make great performance. The Woods TW6 are great cams (not the "H" version...H=.590 lift). Also, the S&S 510 would work well for you Dyna.

I'm a big advocate of gear driven cams, however, there's no shame in chain driven cams. You'll just need to pull your cam chest every so often to check the wear of your shoes. In that respect, the SE 211 might be a good choice. Plus, chain driven cams are cheap compared to gear driven cams. :hmmm:

-2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Nice choice on the FXDX. I have a 2001. You didn't say what exhaust you are running and that makes a huge difference. When I did my 95 inch build I had drag pipes on my bike and it felt a bit soft in the mid range, nice down low and screamed up top. Well I took it to a dyno and brought with me a Hooker 2-1. The Hooker made about 50 more ftlbs in the mid range. Yup 50. Better top and bottom also. Nothing like a good Hooker.

Sean.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Dynatherapy said:
Ok Ok I know this type of post appears all tooo often and is an opinion request but Im really at a loss here.
Heres the deal:
Just picked up the following: (done from MY stock parts off my 2002 Dyna Superglide Sport by the way) Thanks for footing the bill Santa, LOL

- 95" bored cylanders
- Dimensional & street ported heads Unshrouded, multi angle jobbed w/ oversized valves (nail head type ,, NO dimples) w/ .570 lift springs
- Weisco 10.5 -1 compression forged dome top pistons / rings kit , reliefed for oversized valves, all fittment to the cylanders performed
- Valve springs checked and approved for up to .555 lift (cant quite figure this one out) maybe heat expansion allowance ???
- Complete Top end gasket kit included

Herein is my dilemma:
Im only cleared for .555 lift so Im precluded from several hot cams.
Im looking at the TW55 Cams at this point.

My machinist was looking at Cams and mentioned "OVERLAP" several times but I am not familiar with this term so if someone could clarify I would appreciate that.

Im also considdering taking the heads back to him and have him tub out the valve seats and having the rockers and covers reliefed if necessary and have him install higher lift springs. (I didnt specify the .600 lift I wanted DAMNNNN)

Your Opinions and thoughts are appreciated. :confused:

By the way,,, Im running the Crane Fireball Hi4-TC ignition so im fully programmable and adjustable. Thanks
Over lap is when the intake valve is just opening and theexhaust valve is just closing. Both valves are open at top dead center.....overlap is used to start filling the cylinder with a fresh charge of air and fuel even before the piston starts its intake stroke by using the exhaust blowdown. The more overlap the cam has the more topend power it can produce but the engine depends on a good exhaust system to to optimize the overlap. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Holy resurrection of old posts batman. This post is ancient!!! I ordered and received my www.harleydavidsonforum.com t-shirt about a week after this post. I'll bet that there are many who have no idea what the HDF is or why I would be posting a link to any forum other than the VTF,,,,,LOL.
I wore my HDF t today and it brought back memories.

Anyway,,, the date posted markers are no longer used so I have no idea where this one got dug up.

I ordered the TW-55's and they were backordered at the time. My wife called while I was away on business and they had a set elsewhere so she had them put in for me as a gift (great Gal). No cash out of my pocket and a good set of cams is an act worthy of a "THANK YOU SWEETHEART" and not a "you should have had so and so and so done instead".
I am happy with the TW-55s and I do not see where the outer tensioner was very bad at all after about 4-5K and the inner was getting hammered due to cam clearance (or the lack thereof) and still held up well considdering the abuse.
I'll buy gear drive if and when I feel I want it. You tend to get the bigger better faster more's when modding and then there comes a time to ride. My time to ride and enjoy has come, and I tinker as I feel the need for private time in the shop. Peace of mind is great but for me, cracking open the cam chest or top end is no big deal if I hear something I dont like.
A LOT changes when you are working on bikes regularly and you form your own personal opinion on certain items.
As for the "wish I would have's" I wish I would have obsessed about the issue much less and rode more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and I do now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Harleydavidson forum, a name from the past for sure!!! Wow can;t beleive how long since i heard that ome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just installed my tw55 and 95 conversion could give me some good settings to start with on the h4tc crane

i would be so gratefull

1 - 13 of 13 Posts