V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know if anyone has had problems with there cam position sensor? I have a 1999 Classic and it had 24,640 miles on it.I pulled in to get gas and it would not start back up. Had it towed to the nearest dealer and after 5 hrs they replaced the sensor. Now at low speed around 1400rpm it will miss and I'm baffled.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You mean crank position sensor? Im thinking have the dealer make it right (at no extra charge of course). After 5 hours they could of done better.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Here's something to consider. Starting with 01 models, the cam sensor is either not present or just no longer used. Guess Harley decided wasn't necessary. I was told by a couple dealer techs (good ones) that you can put an ECM from an 01 bike on a 99 or 00 if you suspect cam sensor problems. Since this ECM doesn't use the cam sensor, it's a good way to check this problem. The newer ECM can also be left on the 99 or 00 bike permanently.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

If any of the sensors are going south, It should give out codes should it not?
I'd suspect dirty gas..................

·
Registered
250 Posts
Delphi EFI do not use a Cam Sensor and there is not one on the bike. So if you got Delphi then you won't see one. Earlier EFI used a cam sensor to detect the position of the cycle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Missed this in the paste - see seventh line:

With the Delphi EMS, the key features and functions of the 2001 Softail
platform include:

* Hybrid ECM technology for compact and rugged applications.
* Cylinder-independent sequential port fuel injection.
* Cylinder-independent spark timing control.
* Synchronous manifold pressure sensing of engine load.
* Predictive load estimation for accurate transient control.
* Control of idle air for turnkey starting and idle speed control.
* Cylinder identification without the use of a camshaft sensor.
* Barometric pressure compensation for operation at any altitude.
* Knock control using "ion-sense" technology.
* Engine speed-governing control.
* Engine management systems diagnostics.
* Communication interface to instrument cluster, security module and
service tools.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My Cam sensor went south (intermittant problem with acceleration) - and no codes were logged (carb)

Did I miss something - Did he say his bike was FI?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rustler I have a 1999 FLHTCI that is FI.I did not have any accellaration problems at all.It just would not start after getting gas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not much good to anyone on FI, and very little good on anything else <grin> but if they supposedly fixed it - it should be fixed - take it back. I assume fuel filter and pressure are ok

1 - 12 of 12 Posts