V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy there are three or four oil "going every which way" threads here lately. I have had my share of oil coming out of the breather, but that is for another thread.
My question is what purpose does the plug in the center top of the cam plate serve? Experts?
Here is why I am asking. I have taken my cam cover off now about 3-4 times and even the first time, before I put in the Baisley Spring, it was popped up with the only thing holding it being the cam cover. So I pushed it back down and on I went.
Well, with the oil carry over problems I have had, I now have removed the cam cover for the fifth time this weekend. Scrutinizing everything, here is what I have found.
1. By blowing into the breather ports I determined that they were not sealing one way like they should. After listening where the air was leaking from I determined that the cam lifter plates are so poorly machined that I could put a feeler gauge (.002) between the breather assembly and the plate.
SOLUTION: RTV and knock the edges down with a file.
2. Pulled cam cover off, reinstalled the exhaust, put a pan under the engine and started it up. The center plug popped off the cam plate! Oil everywhere. Also noticed that with it half way up and the cam cover the only thing holding it in, there is a port that vents oil into the cam case. Is this a relief valve? If it is, so much for the Baisley Spring doing anything, and explains excess oil in the cam chest.
3. Reinstalled the plug with teflon tape around it so it is now very snug. Started it up. Noticed right away that oil was oozing from between the cam plate and case on the ports that supply the oil filter. Just enough to see, but not in large amounts. Everything was tight.
SOLUTION: Anabolic sealant around all oil holes that don't have an o-ring, and reinstall the cam plate.

The Gerolomy Throttle body that I have vents the breather gases on the face plate, and therefore any oil runs down the side of it and onto the filter. I think that all of the above has contributed to an oil usage problem since new.

Any ideas on this plug??

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
bbrowncods said:
Boy there are three or four oil "going every which way" threads here lately. I have had my share of oil coming out of the breather, but that is for another thread.
My question is what purpose does the plug in the center top of the cam plate serve? Experts?
Here is why I am asking. I have taken my cam cover off now about 3-4 times and even the first time, before I put in the Baisley Spring, it was popped up with the only thing holding it being the cam cover. So I pushed it back down and on I went.
Well, with the oil carry over problems I have had, I now have removed the cam cover for the fifth time this weekend. Scrutinizing everything, here is what I have found.
1. By blowing into the breather ports I determined that they were not sealing one way like they should. After listening where the air was leaking from I determined that the cam lifter plates are so poorly machined that I could put a feeler gauge (.002) between the breather assembly and the plate.
SOLUTION: RTV and knock the edges down with a file.
2. Pulled cam cover off, reinstalled the exhaust, put a pan under the engine and started it up. The center plug popped off the cam plate! Oil everywhere. Also noticed that with it half way up and the cam cover the only thing holding it in, there is a port that vents oil into the cam case. Is this a relief valve? If it is, so much for the Baisley Spring doing anything, and explains excess oil in the cam chest.
3. Reinstalled the plug with teflon tape around it so it is now very snug. Started it up. Noticed right away that oil was oozing from between the cam plate and case on the ports that supply the oil filter. Just enough to see, but not in large amounts. Everything was tight.
SOLUTION: Anabolic sealant around all oil holes that don't have an o-ring, and reinstall the cam plate.

The Gerolomy Throttle body that I have vents the breather gases on the face plate, and therefore any oil runs down the side of it and onto the filter. I think that all of the above has contributed to an oil usage problem since new.

Any ideas on this plug??
I think they all do that re the plug popping up. there is an oring and the plug can not come all the way out so unless the oring is really worn it should seal well enough.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it suppose to pop up, or stay seated down on the cam plate?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
bbrowncods said:
Is it suppose to pop up, or stay seated down on the cam plate?
They all pop up. The only thing holding them in is an oring and there is a lot of pressure. I have read on this site it is normal and does not hurt anything.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Mtclassic said:
They all pop up. The only thing holding them in is an oring and there is a lot of pressure. I have read on this site it is normal and does not hurt anything.
as above.

It is just a clean out plug for the cam plate.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I wonder if the boost in oil pressure from the spring is affecting the camplate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts