V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just the facts ma'am
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I haven't been in the forum for a while, lots of stuff going on at home, but I just finished the tear down of my 02 FLSTFI and started assembling the 95" kit purchased thru HDWrench.

Installed the inner cam bearings this morning (without the JIMS remover/installer but that's another story) and put one in backwards. doh!

I can't think of a logical reason why it won't work this way but the service manual says to have the lettering on the bearing facing the cam. Since it will bug me forever if I don't know for sure, I have to ask the experienced folks: does it make any difference installing the bearing backwards? The rear bearing is pushed a little further in too. I installed the front bearing correctly. Pic attached.

BTW, I keep reading about "thread chasers". This is nothing more than a tap used to clean out gunk from a threaded hole?

AND, that's not a crack in the upper left of the pic, it's a raised area and is part of the case (I just checked 'cause it sure looks like a crack)

Thanks in advance for all thoughts on the matter.

Regards,
Joe in Va. Beach
02 EFI Fatboy
95" build in progress
Andrews 26G cams
A/N big suckah
V&H BS Staggerd (don't say it, I already know)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yes it does look like a crack, and there also looks like there is one (casting defect) between the cam bearing bosses just above the V between the cam bearings.

No, you do not have to remove the bearings as they will run equally in either direction.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
541 Posts
Timken site doesn't seem to address this, (and there's a wealth of knowledge there about bearings..). Can't say I've ever heard of a bearing failure due to its installation into a blind hole with the ID in, instead of out..

I know bearings are spun and analyzed for the least rolling friction, (that can only be seen on a scope or digital read out), less friction in one direction than the other, other wise the side the ID is on, could only be beneficial in aiding in rapid identification or for determining which end has the better lead-in champher when installing in a blind hole.

I don't think you should worry.

My .01..

DLR

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I'd call HDWrench and double check this but I beleive the bearing should be bottomed in the bores and equal depth.

Joe

·
Just the facts ma'am
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm good but it's always a good idea to get "da Wrench" to chime in...Wrench??

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
joefed1 said:
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm good but it's always a good idea to get "da Wrench" to chime in...Wrench??
The reason they have one side flat is for installation. It gives a solid surface against which to push. If you tapped them in without an installer, I would get the proper R&R tool and re-install another set using the proper tool with the flat side out. There's a possiblity that you have deformed the outer cases by installing them that way. That's just me, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts