V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Primary Drive Chain Lock say from George's Garage, sufficient a tool to lock the driveline in order to remove and install cams? Or, is the "cam lock" tool usable on the chain drive cams AND the gear drive to remove and install? Thinking if I buy the Primary Lock, I should be able to lock it enough to remove the old cams and torque the new gear drives without having to buy two different tools.............your thoughts would be appreciated.

r/ George

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
fatboyskip said:
Is the Primary Drive Chain Lock say from George's Garage, sufficient a tool to lock the driveline in order to remove and install cams? Or, is the "cam lock" tool usable on the chain drive cams AND the gear drive to remove and install? Thinking if I buy the Primary Lock, I should be able to lock it enough to remove the old cams and torque the new gear drives without having to buy two different tools.............your thoughts would be appreciated.

r/ George
I just put the bike in 5th gear and held the rear brake down and had no problem removing them when I did my gear drive cams. When I had to remove my comp nut I just did the same thing only this time I used the old primary tensioner pad and stuck it between the sprocket and chain.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I didn't use any lock either but if I was to use one I'd get the primary lock...useful for other purposes too. They're very easy to fabricate.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback all, I appreciate it. Never thought about the screwdriver handle..................can also understand where the Primary tool would be useful for other things also. Thanks again and ride safe.

r/ George

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Theres lots of things that can be used to lock primary chain. I used old piece of snowmobile slide. But chunk of wood, rag, plastic cutting board.

For the cam chains, I went to gear so didn't care about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts