V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I believe I've settled on the Andrews 37G cam set, so tell me if this is all I need to order in the cam department:

Andrews Outer and Inner Drive Gear Kit Part# 288908
Andrews Gear Drive Installation Kit Part# 288901
Andrews 37G Cams Part# 288137G

·
Registered
934 Posts
I got my cam set from Wally's. Came in a timely manner, all parts were there. I can't comment on his customer service cause I didn't need any.

darrell

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I dont want to bum you out but cheaper isnt always better. Remember who do you call if there is a problem. In some applications you need a larger or smaller gear and you dont know that until you get it all together. What will Wally do for you then ? Woods Cams will do a swap for you at no charge.
I dont know how many miles you have on your bike but you may want to get new lifters too? I have never dealt with Wally's, but I have seen some post's on here that weren't all positive. Just somethings to think about.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Why not talk to one of the members here who has a shop, HDWRENCH??

Are you going to bump the compression up to around 9.7 or 9.8?? If not, you might want to talk to one of the experts about the 37G with lowered compression.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't think of the Woods, but I'll take a look at those too. Have almost 5k on the bike. Looks like the TW-6G Woods is pretty much the same as the 37G.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed Y said:
Are you going to bump the compression up to around 9.7 or 9.8?? If not, you might want to talk to one of the experts about the 37G with lowered compression.
Going to 95", but haven't decided on pistons yet. I hear 9.8 is the magic number.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
jrehm said:
Didn't think of the Woods, but I'll take a look at those too. Have almost 5k on the bike. Looks like the TW-6G Woods is pretty much the same as the 37G.
Woods cam highly recommended to me by some of the guru's of this forum
One of the things I liked about Woods is when you call to order, you will talk to the owner. He will ask you questions about you and your bike. Then he will recommend the cam he feels is best for what you are doing. He also will tell you that if you have any quesions or problems he wants you to call him. The cams are ground to his specs by Andrews and the gears are S&S because they have a patent on them. If you have more then .001 backlash you will need to swap out your gears and Wood's supports that. Not only that the word I have heard is that he is King of Torque right now. Plus you'll get a free T Shirt. :banana: I also e mailed him other questions after my install and he replied with recommendations.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I do in fact offer the gear swap for free provided you have not run the engine , with new gears, not a problem .

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
johnny_red said:
Apparently you can get a complete kit with everything you need cheaper ($534)than buying it all seperately from this guy
http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/index.asp
Dunno what he's like to deal with, but I remember reading about him somewhere.
Don't buy this stuff from Wally's. I can tell you first hand that there CS sucks since Thomas left. Plus, I have bought a ton of stuff from them and every piece I have ever gotten had some kind of blem which leads me to believe the stuff is not first run (althought they advertise it as such). I definitely would not but anything that goes inside of the motor or trans from them. IF you don't believe me just ask Ozzie what he thinks about them :D -Frank

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
YEAH, SOME HOW I COULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM EITHER............stuffed up the last 3 orders..............and yes it was better with Thomas!

Ozzie

·
Registered
134 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but after reading a lot of posts about cam swaps, I assume that it is not necessary to also replace the lifters when installing a new cam.
Will someone enlighten me on this ?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
25000 or more while your in there I would be replacing them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts