V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change out the stock cam in my 07 EGC, funds are tight so not looking to do head-work or go bigger bore. Based on my riding style low end torque is more a factor than top end HP. I have weighed the pro's and cons of doing the work myself, although it would cost a lot less, I can not see spending the money on the tooling required to pull/install bearings, plus never having done this before, it may just be safer to have a indy do it. One questions is the extra labor to pull the tank and rocker boxes to reuse the stock pushrods cheaper than the price of buying adjustables? Bike currently has Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C, V&H Dresser Duals w/Rineheart slip on's. With price and bang for the buck being factored in, and after reading a lot of stuff on-line, here are the cams I"m considering:

Cycle Rama 575 (could not find much online, would love to here from anyone who has used them)

SE 204

Andrews 26

Andrews 48

Any others I should consider? Also, is it worth going with the much talked about .30 cometic head gaskets?

I have a TTS mastertune, and will be looking into taking the Bike to Doc in Central Florida for a tune.

TIA

Chris

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
You should go down to the GMR forum. Steve put a set of SE255s in a stock 96" SG shop mule with some impressive results, better curves than in the 103"s if I remember right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Chris
I've used the 575 Cyclerama cam a couple times in 95" motors with very good results. Power band starts early and is very broad. Should work well on a 96. The other choice to look at is Head-Quarters Tc 500, I really like this cam as a bolt in on stock motor.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
You might also consider an S&S 551 easy start, doing a set right now on an 07 96 inch, here is a sheet from the first one I did on an 09 Street Glide with the lower run being slip on's and A/C
I have used 3 sets of the cr575's (103, 110, 114 inch)and I think they may be a little soft in the bottom end on a stock compression 96.
I have however had great results from the HQ t500 in a 96

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should go down to the GMR forum. Steve put a set of SE255s in a stock 96" SG shop mule with some impressive results, better curves than in the 103"s if I remember right.
I have seen quite a few people here and other places who 255's are removing them from their 96's due to hard starts and pinging issues, if I go SE the 204's make more sense. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might also consider an S&S 551 easy start, doing a set right now on an 07 96 inch, here is a sheet from the first one I did on an 09 Street Glide with the lower run being slip on's and A/C
I have used 3 sets of the cr575's (103, 110, 114 inch)and I think they may be a little soft in the bottom end on a stock compression 96.
I have however had great results from the HQ t500 in a 96

Interesting on your take of the 575's as I have been told and read that they are a great bolt in for the 96

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just finished up the hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade on my '01 wide glide. While I was in there I put in some SE 203 cams. I did it all without buying any special tools. You can put down the deposit on the blind hole bearing puller from AutoZone to get the inner cam bearings out. They'll refund the deposit when you return the tool. My dealer pressed in the new bearings and cams for a small fee. I was able to borrow an inch pound torque wrench from a buddy.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
:dh: Yeah I know there are a lot of option's but if you go with a majority vote on a stock 96" Motor the SE 204 is almost a cant go wrong cam setup. At least that is what I have decided on and the Pro's way outweigh the Con's. :beer:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I have seen quite a few people here and other places who 255's are removing them from their 96's due to hard starts and pinging issues, if I go SE the 204's make more sense. Thanks for the input
Sure your not thinkin 103's on the pingin and start issues,seems like they worked well in the 96's from what I've seen they are a little lower in compression than the 103's.Never really seen any complaints on the 96's guys seem pretty happy with them.Not tryin to start anything just My observations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure your not thinkin 103's on the pingin and start issues,seems like they worked well in the 96's from what I've seen they are a little lower in compression than the 103's.Never really seen any complaints on the 96's guys seem pretty happy with them.Not tryin to start anything just My observations.
You may be right, but again there are quite a few pulling the 255's out of thier bikes, one person call the 255 a "school bus cam" If I decide to go SE I feel better about the 204's and have not read anything negative about them.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
You may be right, but again there are quite a few pulling the 255's out of thier bikes, one person call the 255 a "school bus cam" If I decide to go SE I feel better about the 204's and have not read anything negative about them.
I could be wrong but I think alot of Guys pull them outa the CVO 110.Dont think its enough cam for that motor.Yeh alota guys like that 204.I had a 09 with a stage II 103 a little bit of head work with the 255's. to me they were where ya wanted it for a bagger as a bolt in but I think there was less issues in a 96.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying to compare the CR575 and SE 204, i do not know much about the numbers and looking for help. Here are the specs for both cams:

CR575
Intake open 15 close 35 .575 lift
100LC 22 overlap
Ex. open 49 close 7 .560 lift
111LC 105.5 LSA

SE 204 Lift @ valve Intake/ Exhaust(.508”/.508”)
Duration @ .053 Intake/ Exhaust(236°/240°)
Timing @ .053 lift Open/Close:
(Intake: 22°BTDC/34°ABDC
Exhaust: 52°BBDC/08°ATDC)
TDC Lift @ valve int/exh: (0.208”/.129”)

What are the differences in these two cams? Where does power come in and where will it drop off?

TIA

·
Registered
183 Posts

The 255s were never factory installed in the 96 engine. People pull them out of 103's and 110's because of the hard starting issue and short powerband. They actually work very nice in the 96 motor. Very economical too. You can pick them up all day long in like new condition for $150.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Looks like a great cam, someone just emailed me a dyno with these cams on a stock 96 w/pipes and A/C numbers are 96/109
looks like 90 hp 103 tq to me?
I remember Ed tuning this one. it was a big deal at the time because there was some comparing of v tune vs real dyno tune,mt 7 cals vs mt 8 cals. yada yada yada. I even spoke with Ed about this particular tune. it tuned out nice,but it is a 103 ci motor. your results on a 96ci will not be the same.
all the cams mentioned in this thread will work for what you are wanting. I like the 204's myself :) but to be honest I think the 48 would be the best choice, (for you). with a good tune they are capable of hitting 90 hp 100 tq.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like 90 hp 103 tq to me?
I remember Ed tuning this one. it was a big deal at the time because there was some comparing of v tune vs real dyno tune,mt 7 cals vs mt 8 cals. yada yada yada. I even spoke with Ed about this particular tune. it tuned out nice,but it is a 103 ci motor. your results on a 96ci will not be the same.
all the cams mentioned in this thread will work for what you are wanting. I like the 204's myself :) but to be honest I think the 48 would be the best choice, (for you). with a good tune they are capable of hitting 90 hp 100 tq.
As I have read the 575 is a great cam for the 96 and 103, someone emailed me a dyno sheet on a stock 96 w/ a/c and pipes and the numbers are impressive, would post it here but don't know how, its bmp file.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking to change out the stock cam in my 07 EGC, funds are tight so not looking to do head-work or go bigger bore. Based on my riding style low end torque is more a factor than top end HP. I have weighed the pro's and cons of doing the work myself, although it would cost a lot less, I can not see spending the money on the tooling required to pull/install bearings, plus never having done this before, it may just be safer to have a indy do it. One questions is the extra labor to pull the tank and rocker boxes to reuse the stock pushrods cheaper than the price of buying adjustables? Bike currently has Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C, V&H Dresser Duals w/Rineheart slip on's. With price and bang for the buck being factored in, and after reading a lot of stuff on-line, here are the cams I"m considering:

Cycle Rama 575 (could not find much online, would love to here from anyone who has used them)

SE 204

Andrews 26

Andrews 48

Any others I should consider? Also, is it worth going with the much talked about .30 cometic head gaskets?

I have a TTS mastertune, and will be looking into taking the Bike to Doc in Central Florida for a tune.

TIA

Chris
Try a mackie 510 torque cams DAVE MACKIE ENGINEERING.COM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why don't you also check out Tman performance. They have/did a special on certain cams and their products seem pretty dam good, IMHO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to update this thread, went with the 204's got a great deal on them, Cams, install kit, and SE Premium pushrods on order.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts