V-Twin Forum banner

Cam Identification

12K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  captainhook455 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me identify the cam I just purchased on Ebay. The seller said it was a "new in the box Andrews EV46 with matching pinion gear". When I opened the box the gear is not pressed on the camshaft and the only identifying mark on the shaft is an "N" on the lobe closest to the inner bearing. The pinion gear does not have any identifying mark or numbers either.
The "N" makes me think this is a stock cam, but I have never had one apart so I am unsure. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Sorry buddy, you got taken, "N" is a stock cam. No telling about the gear or the Pinion. Probably the gear off the EV46 and a pinion from a friend bike. Who knows.
I would contact the seller and let him know.

#3 ·
And if he doesn't give you IMMEDIATE satisfaction make sure you FLAME the HELL out of him on the EBAY reviews. Maybe it was a mistake and maybe he deserves at least one phone call or email. However, that is ALL he would get from me. Whatever you do...don't wait.
Good luck,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

#5 ·
Agree. The "N" is a factory grind (stock) that was used from 92 - 98. The other popular grind is an "L" grind that was used from 81 - 91.

#6 ·
fxst1999 said:
Can anyone help me identify the cam I just purchased on Ebay. The seller said it was a "new in the box Andrews EV46 with matching pinion gear". When I opened the box the gear is not pressed on the camshaft and the only identifying mark on the shaft is an "N" on the lobe closest to the inner bearing. The pinion gear does not have any identifying mark or numbers either.
The "N" makes me think this is a stock cam, but I have never had one apart so I am unsure. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Also, when you finally do get the right cam, try to use your stock gear with it. It will reduce the valve clatter usually heard after a cam change.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I contacted the seller who has agreed to refund my money and I am sending it back today. Has anyone here ever run a Headquarters Rumble Stick (Lift .500" Duration 236/250, Timing Intake 20/36, Exhaust 51/19)? I can get one from an online dealer that I have dealt with before for a fair price. These numbers make me think this cam should build decent power across a broad range of RPM.

#9 ·
fxst1999 said:
Thanks for the replies. I contacted the seller who has agreed to refund my money and I am sending it back today. Has anyone here ever run a Headquarters Rumble Stick (Lift .500" Duration 236/250, Timing Intake 20/36, Exhaust 51/19)? I can get one from an online dealer that I have dealt with before for a fair price. These numbers make me think this cam should build decent power across a broad range of RPM.
Never tried it, but the numbers look good for a street bike. I'd try it, but the lift isn't enough above stock to make too much of a difference. The longer exhaust duration should help scavanging, though.

#10 ·
ToddM said:
Never tried it, but the numbers look good for a street bike. I'd try it, but the lift isn't enough above stock to make too much of a difference. The longer exhaust duration should help scavanging, though.
I am looking for a drop in cam without needing to alter the valve springs.
The Rumble Stick has more lift than the Andrews EV27 or the EV46. I figure with this lift and the shorter duration on the intake it should make good power and torque in the lower and mid range. I agree that the longer exhaust will help scavanging and keep a cooler head temp.

#13 ·
I usually press the gear of the stock factory cam and press it onto a new cam. No need to change pinion gears. I['ve got a bunch of Andrews gears.

Never thought about pressing them onto the stock take-out cam and selling it as new on Ebay.:duh2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.