V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to change out the cam again this winter. Right now running a EV 13, Bike is a 91 FLHTCU with stage 2 mods. Which cam would you recommend and why? If not these 2 them which one?
Thanks Papajoe

·
Registered
31 Posts
i was happy with an ev3 in my flhs & am currently running one in my springer with good results. little stronger mid-range than ev13 0r 27 but still has good grunt as long as you don't always overload or pull trailer. had no issues with hard starting or overheating etc. i even run the 34 tooth front pulley for more relaxed cruising & still have great acceleration--set up as follws: andrews ev3, dyno-jet & yost powertube (great mod!!) & k&n filter, cycle shack staggered exhaust . my .02 !!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Which cam?

I believe both cams are very simular in performance, personally I would go with the EV-27, I have heard nothing but good reports from everyone that ever had one. They say that the valve train is a little noisier with this cam because it uses faster ramps, but that's what makes it work so well. I have also read that with the heavier Touring bikes it will work much better if the compression is raised higher than stock because the valve overlap reduces the static compression, with the heavier bike the performance of the cam suffers alittle without the compression increase. The lighter bikes can get a way using the stock compression. You can shave the heads or replace the pistons or even buy new high performance heads and pistons and it will really wake it up. It depends on how much money you want to invest. I have spent so much money already, it never ends, but if I decide to do it, most likely will be the EV-27 and maybe the Screaming Eagle heads and pistons. I am only dreaming at this point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts