V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have the cam installed and The endplay is .017. This gives me the 3.075 to the face of the gear that andrews says is correct. I acomplised this by adding a .055 shim to the cam. I however have a .060 shim which would cut the endplay down to about .012 wich is closer to what most people say to set it but it will move the gear out to 3.080. what do yo guys think is the way to go here. I am shooting for as little noise as possible. Also what is the best way to get the old exhaust gaskets out of the head.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
rlpos said:
Ok, I have the cam installed and The endplay is .017. This gives me the 3.075 to the face of the gear that andrews says is correct. I acomplised this by adding a .055 shim to the cam. I however have a .060 shim which would cut the endplay down to about .012 wich is closer to what most people say to set it but it will move the gear out to 3.080. what do yo guys think is the way to go here. I am shooting for as little noise as possible. Also what is the best way to get the old exhaust gaskets out of the head.
I would shoot for the .012" tolerance as most growth does not go close to this.........and it stops the cam slopping back and forth.

I use a 1" wood chisel...........carefully.............. to remove the gasket bits that are stuck to the head and/or barrels.

Merry xmas..........Ozzie

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Ozzie, He asked about exhaust gaskets, not head gaskets. I had to read it twice to see it.
Use a small pick or small flat blade screw driver. They are mesh, so just get one side to deform and pull them out. Make sure you get all the mesh out. Should have a square edge on the port opening when done.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
rlpos said:
.012 is fine for a Evolution cam, although a liittle bit of extra end play won't usually cause extra noise. What causes noise is a misfit between the new cam gear and the original pinion gear. What I would do is have the original cam gear installed on a new cam to retain the original factory fit.

My 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts