V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great forum ! hope everyone is doing well. This is my first post with a very genral Q. I have an 02 softail standard and want to replace the cam cover. is this a simple take off, bolt on, and follow torque specs, or is there anything special I should watch for when doing this.(Did not recieve shop manual in the mail yet) and could not find a simular thread. Thanks for any help.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Yep, it's that simple. Make a cardboard template because the bolts are differing lengths and make sure the bolt holes are clean with NO oil in them at reinstallation or you may break them out due to hydraulic lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gulfstream

Hey gulfstream thanks for the quick response. I did hear about the oil in the holes and will watch for this. I was mainly concerned about something coming out of adjustment, or falling out of place. can't wait to get started. primary will be next. manual should be here shortly so I can keep the newbie Q at bay. Last bike was an 83 FXR so things are just a bit different.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
master said:
What a great forum ! hope everyone is doing well. This is my first post with a very genral Q. I have an 02 softail standard and want to replace the cam cover. is this a simple take off, bolt on, and follow torque specs, or is there anything special I should watch for when doing this.(Did not recieve shop manual in the mail yet) and could not find a simular thread. Thanks for any help.
What is wrong with your cam cover? Or are you just replacing with something different?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just makin it SHINE! and also changing the fluids. did not recieve any maintenance records and would rather be sure, even thuogh it has 2500mi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts