V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would those members who have put in one performance cam and then changed it out for a different performance cam mind coming on here and giving a review or evaluation of the differences in say the following area.

Strengths of the new cam compared to the former.

Weakness`s of the new cam compared to the former.

Noise issues......with either cam.

Smoothness of operation.

Installation requirements......ie: grinding of inner casing required to allow lobe to travel full circle freely.

Amount to remove.

Any other relevant info.........such as gear ratios to suit.
.....................................................................................................

I would love to hear from guys Like Jagmanr and Timbo, etc.......guys who have had the cam changed out for a while now.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I went from a chain drive SE 251 cam to a Woods TW5-G gear driven cam set. I had to remove about .030 from the top of the crank bearing boss to get the lobes of the TW5-G to clear the case. No removal was required in the lifter area. The TW5-G pulls very strong, seemingly across the entire rpm band. As to where the SE251 didn't seem to really kick in till about 2800rpm. The TW5-G was made just for the SE Performance heads which I have. I'm very happy with them. The gear drive makes very little noise. It doesn't stand out as obnoxious. But occassionally you'll hear a faint whine under decel or accel. But you really have to be listening for it.

I minimized any valvetrain noise I had before by installing the Baisley spring in the camplate. Great boost in oil pressure and really quieted down the valvetrain noise.

I have the Race Tuner and the bike just flat out runs perfect. No coughs, bucks, jerks, stumbles or bogging down. I'm extremely happy with the performance.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
timbo said:
I went from a chain drive SE 251 cam to a Woods TW5-G gear driven cam set. I had to remove about .030 from the top of the crank bearing boss to get the lobes of the TW5-G to clear the case. No removal was required in the lifter area. The TW5-G pulls very strong, seemingly across the entire rpm band. As to where the SE251 didn't seem to really kick in till about 2800rpm. The TW5-G was made just for the SE Performance heads which I have. I'm very happy with them. The gear drive makes very little noise. It doesn't stand out as obnoxious. But occassionally you'll hear a faint whine under decel or accel. But you really have to be listening for it.

I minimized any valvetrain noise I had before by installing the Baisley spring in the camplate. Great boost in oil pressure and really quieted down the valvetrain noise.

I have the Race Tuner and the bike just flat out runs perfect. No coughs, bucks, jerks, stumbles or bogging down. I'm extremely happy with the performance.
I'm glad it all worked out for you Timbo

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Hello Ozzie....all:)

I swapped out SE 211's for Woods TW-5G's. I liked the 211's pretty well. They didn't deliver however very well down low and really weak 2-up. They also tended to kind of lose steam in the upper part of the rev band. My setup now is 95", SE Heads, Flat top pistols, 10-1CR, Ultima Roller Rockers, Ultima Lifters, SE 6200 Ignition, Thunderheader, Woods TW-5G. Those are wonderful cams. My initial impression was that they weren't as strong as I had hoped for. After about 3000 miles with them, I really like them a lot. They hit early and you're on the cam all the way to 100MPH. Just a constant pull...very rewarding! I was riding initially like I did with my 211's...not wrapping out the gears as much and the cams weren't getting a chance to perform. I'm not crazy about some of the gear whine, although it's not obnoxious by any means, just a personal preference thing. I do have some valve train noise which I could do without. I did add an oil shim during the build and the bike isn't what I'd call noisy, but it does offer a bit more extra noise than I would ideally like. Bottom line is that my bike runs very smooth and very fast. I've put 22,000 miles on it in 2 years, so I ride a fair amount. The bike is getting a work out about every day:) Frankly lately I've been jonesing for a new bike, but I've got too much invested in this Fatboy:) I've had my eye on a new Road King Classic or Heritage Softtail though. I think I'd like to the do the fuel injected thing now, do the high compression pistons, do some differnt pipes, and try out another cam combo. Bottom line though...I do LOVE the 5G's. Really can't see how the 6HG's could perform much better:) Hope everyone is ok...got back to work and then had to have throat surgery...all is better now though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JagmanR said:
Hello Ozzie....all:)

I swapped out SE 211's for Woods TW-5G's. I liked the 211's pretty well. They didn't deliver however very well down low and really weak 2-up. They also tended to kind of lose steam in the upper part of the rev band. My setup now is 95", SE Heads, Flat top pistols, 10-1CR, Ultima Roller Rockers, Ultima Lifters, SE 6200 Ignition, Thunderheader, Woods TW-5G. Those are wonderful cams. My initial impression was that they weren't as strong as I had hoped for. After about 3000 miles with them, I really like them a lot. They hit early and you're on the cam all the way to 100MPH. Just a constant pull...very rewarding! I was riding initially like I did with my 211's...not wrapping out the gears as much and the cams weren't getting a chance to perform. I'm not crazy about some of the gear whine, although it's not obnoxious by any means, just a personal preference thing. I do have some valve train noise which I could do without. I did add an oil shim during the build and the bike isn't what I'd call noisy, but it does offer a bit more extra noise than I would ideally like. Bottom line is that my bike runs very smooth and very fast. I've put 22,000 miles on it in 2 years, so I ride a fair amount. The bike is getting a work out about every day:) Frankly lately I've been jonesing for a new bike, but I've got too much invested in this Fatboy:) I've had my eye on a new Road King Classic or Heritage Softtail though. I think I'd like to the do the fuel injected thing now, do the high compression pistons, do some differnt pipes, and try out another cam combo. Bottom line though...I do LOVE the 5G's. Really can't see how the 6HG's could perform much better:) Hope everyone is ok...got back to work and then had to have throat surgery...all is better now though.
Hello Jagman, thank you for your excellent response as always.............good to see one of the really good guys back on here.........hope you can participate more often and am glad you are back on your feet.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would hope to hear from all the other members on here coming out with their experiences and evaluations and not leave it up to the GURUS as always.

Doc my friend, I got a pretty good boot in the arze from GRock for not taking care of a particular issue as I promised so expect to get a result by end of this week buddy.

Hope all the others on here do as they promised also.

Well, I am off to Australia (best kept secret in the World, and no, most of us dont give a rats.....for the Queen!) for 10 days r&r and I am going to [email protected] enjoy it!

All the best and I will be back in a few weeks.

All the best, Ozzie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts