V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Looking For Suggestions For A Good Overall Gear Driven Cams That Provide Good Low To Midrange Torque To Be Used On A 2005 Road King. It Will Be Used With A 95 Big Bore Kit. I'm Considering Andrews 37g, S&s 510g. I'm Looking For Feedback Or Any Suggestions Of Other Brands. Thanks

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
MAX EVO said:
I'm Looking For Suggestions For A Good Overall Gear Driven Cams That Provide Good Low To Midrange Torque To Be Used On A 2005 Road King. It Will Be Used With A 95 Big Bore Kit. I'm Considering Andrews 37g, S&s 510g. I'm Looking For Feedback Or Any Suggestions Of Other Brands. Thanks
The 37 is a well proven cam that with the proper head work will yeild you 100/100 with good power grunt from 2500 rpm to 5500. For some extra grunt team this choice with a 3.37:1 gear ratio and it will put a smile on your face.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Hey Doc, speaking of the above build, what do you know about the new S&S 546g? Hope your house holds up, it looks nasty down there! Hang in brudda!!!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Hey Doc, speaking of the above build, what do you know about the new S&S 546g? Hope your house holds up, it looks nasty down there! Hang in brudda!!!
We're getting a lot of rain and very little wind as of 10:00 this morning, all is well here.
I don't know a thing about the S&S 546.....I could give you a break down if I had the timing numbers I could give you a break down on its performance capabilities.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Should have known Springer would come up with the info needed...:duh?:
The 546 has a late opening intake and a very late closin intake with a small 10* of over lap. It is still in the mild cam catorgory with its 240 and 236 duration. The late closing intake will be down on cylinder pressure and the small overlap is not letting the exhaust to help much in the intake charge.
The cam should kick in around 2100 rpms but with the late closing of the intake the power will not be great. I would say this cam needs some help by a adder of some sort.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
S&S 546 specs;
timing duration lift C/L TDC lift
intake 5*/55* 240* .546" 115* .126"
exhaust 52*/5* 237* .546" 113.5* .106"

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Yeah, a little late.That's what I get for lookin' at the pretty pictures in the catalog instead of going straight to the specs.
Anyway Doc there are the C/L & TDC specs.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Milehog said:
Yeah, a little late.That's what I get for lookin' at the pretty pictures in the catalog instead of going straight to the specs.
Anyway Doc there are the C/L & TDC specs.
A good street cam in the mild to moderate class the lobe centers should be in the 98 to 108 area....the 546 lobe centers are 133.5* and 115* this is way out from what I'm used to seeing.
What kind of pictures are you looking at??? Remember you have to take women out... not tearing them out.....so put the pictures away... brows:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You did not mention if you where going to have head work done?? The 37 will work but if you ride up near flag you will be shifting alot , I would look for a more low end cam if you ride in that area. Since I do many build in this area that is one complaint I hear and I tend to really look at cams that build huge bottom end and not even be concernd about upper rpm at all. The 26 would work well , or as always adding cubic inch is a BONUS. I have done many 98 inch kits with the 37 and mild head work and they run very well working well in the mountains and flat out fast on the flat lands. How fast= how much you have to spend. You can get a decent package on min money. Choose the cam wisely as we have several things here that others do not, high heat poor fuel and 7000+ ft elevation.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Hey Doc, thanks for the reply. I have the 510g's in now, my build includes: 95",SE flat top pistons w/ 10:1 CR, SE Hi Perf heads, 40CV w/190 and sporty jet, SE adjust push rods, V&H Propipes, SE Pro adjustable Ignition. I was looking for more "grunt" on the bottom end and a bit more "snap" on 40 to 50 MPH roll ons. I am going to change out to 3:37 gearing to help there. I'd like to stay with S&S cams since I have the S&S gears. I don't know if they'd work on Andrews cams or not.

BTW, my son near Ft. Lauderdale got his butt kicked. They're OK, just messy.

Thanks for the advice!!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Hey Doc, thanks for the reply. I have the 510g's in now, my build includes: 95",SE flat top pistons w/ 10:1 CR, SE Hi Perf heads, 40CV w/190 and sporty jet, SE adjust push rods, V&H Propipes, SE Pro adjustable Ignition. I was looking for more "grunt" on the bottom end and a bit more "snap" on 40 to 50 MPH roll ons. I am going to change out to 3:37 gearing to help there. I'd like to stay with S&S cams since I have the S&S gears. I don't know if they'd work on Andrews cams or not.

BTW, my son near Ft. Lauderdale got his butt kicked. They're OK, just messy.

Thanks for the advice!!
Yes they got hit hard, we just had some 45 mph winds and 10'' of rain.
The 3.37:1 gearing will wake the bike up all the way through

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Should have known Springer would come up with the info needed...:duh?:
The 546 has a late opening intake and a very late closin intake with a small 10* of over lap. It is still in the mild cam catorgory with its 240 and 236 duration. The late closing intake will be down on cylinder pressure and the small overlap is not letting the exhaust to help much in the intake charge.
The cam should kick in around 2100 rpms but with the late closing of the intake the power will not be great. I would say this cam needs some help by a adder of some sort.
Call me silly but, whats an "adder"?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Call me silly but, whats an "adder"?
Okay silly...:whistle:
An adder is a turbo, supper charger, nitrous...something that will up the volume of air in the cylinder, it adds more volumetric effeciency to a combustion chamber.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Okay silly...:whistle:
An adder is a turbo, supper charger, nitrous...etc
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I was wondering about that...... thanks. OK, you've seen the specs on my build, what cam would you put in? Or would you even change cams? Most posts make me believe the 3:37 will put some "yank" in my shoulders with the build I have now.

(Ain't it great to have a job that allows personal computer time like this??)

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I was wondering about that...... thanks. OK, you've seen the specs on my build, what cam would you put in? Or would you even change cams? Most posts make me believe the 3:37 will put some "yank" in my shoulders with the build I have now.

(Ain't it great to have a job that allows personal computer time like this??)
I might have seen it but remembering it is another story....list it again for me.
I see you say NOT AS OLD AS DOC......you will be some day...:yes: cause its not far down the road where I will forget how old I am and at that time you will catch me or even pass me up...:roflback:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
hdmd88 said:
I might have seen it but remembering it is another story....list it again for me.
I see you say NOT AS OLD AS DOC......you will be some day...:yes: cause its not far down the road where I will forget how old I am and at that time you will catch me or even pass me up...:roflback:
Now thats funny!! :bleh: OK, here goes: 95" flat top SE pistons SE Hi Perf Heads w/comp release, CR= 10:1. SE adjustable pushrods, S&S 510g's, V&H ProPipeHS (no baffle mods) SE Pro Adjustable Ignition, CV 40 carb w/ 190 main 48 mid, Sporty needle w/no shims under it. Bike is nice, but we're never happy are we? Always looking for that little more to crank up the "Waa Hoo" factor. It seams that Andrews cams are very popular with the fellas here, would my S&S gears work with the Andresw cams? (Cheap me wants to limit the $$$, ya know?) BTW, I yellowed my ProPipe muffler running hard up I95 coming back from Myrtle Beach. I'm told this is a mid range lean condition? Ideas??
You da best my friend, thanks!!!! :wootdnc:

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
Now thats funny!! :bleh: OK, here goes: 95" flat top SE pistons SE Hi Perf Heads w/comp release, CR= 10:1. SE adjustable pushrods, S&S 510g's, V&H ProPipeHS (no baffle mods) SE Pro Adjustable Ignition, CV 40 carb w/ 190 main 48 mid, Sporty needle w/no shims under it. Bike is nice, but we're never happy are we? Always looking for that little more to crank up the "Waa Hoo" factor. It seams that Andrews cams are very popular with the fellas here, would my S&S gears work with the Andresw cams? (Cheap me wants to limit the $$$, ya know?) BTW, I yellowed my ProPipe muffler running hard up I95 coming back from Myrtle Beach. I'm told this is a mid range lean condition? Ideas??
You da best my friend, thanks!!!! :wootdnc:
The 37G will work with the gear drive you have mater of fact there is only one gear drive avaliable and you have it. There are other cams that will boost you even more but it will cost you $$ for roller rockers.
The pipe yellowing is from an unballanced AFR...every one says its a lean condition, thats not always true the fuel could be too rich which lets the excess burn in the pipe which will yellow a pipe very quickly or it could be too lean which again the fuel will burn in the pipe because it takes longer to burn a lean condition than a richer condition. You can see this is true from looking at a dresser pipe that yellows or blues in the middle of the baffle, if this was a lean condition it would be yellow or blue all the way down to the baffle, its unburned fuel stoping at the baffle plate and burning there. The only way to get the fuel correct is on the Dyno.
You might think about the S/E 44mm C/V carb, you'll gain some extra grunt with it....you'll need a tuners kit with the 44mm to dial it in.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I had a 44, at the advice of many in this forum, took it off because it was too much carb. The only difference in my build now is the V&H PP. If you think that the 44 combined with 37g's will be a good combo, then I'll look into that for sure!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts