V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some input & expert help on cam selection for my 97 FLHT standard (EVO). I have done some reading in the archives & cam mfg. sites & it looks like some of this has been addressed before but not specific to the heavier bagger.

I am a fairly aggressive rider (well for a bagger rider anyhow) but also like to pop around at a decent low RPM pull & listen to the pipes talk. Almost always ride without a passenger.

In doing some research & talking to a few cyl head porting people it looks like my choices are going to be either the Andrews EV 13 or EV 27 (or equivalent specs) ..

I haven’t decided if I am pulling the cyl heads yet or not.. If I don’t pull the heads it will be the EV 13 for sure so that isn’t the question here.

I am probably going to pull the heads & get a good 5 angle valve job with a nice street porting to increase the mid range flow. I would really like to increase the compression (not exactly sure here so am asking for input from you all).. I was thinking of some where’s in the mid 9’s. (is that too high for an EVO bagger in the summer heat?)

If I go with mid 9’s (maybe 9.5:1) would the EV 13 cam be too much compression down low? If I go with 9.5:1 compression would that allow the EV 27 cam to pull good down low on my heavy bagger? I want to keep the stock pistons so will probably have the heads milled.

I do have a programmable ignition module (Daytona) so can taylor a custom ign. Advance curve if needed.

I guess I am looking for anybody that has been running similar cam specs to the EV 27 in a bagger or has set up that type of cam specs up for some of their customers.. Looking for any & all input on pros & cons of either the EV 13 or EV 27 cam in a heavy bike.. My Bagger is fairly stripped down but still has bags & a batwing on the front. I do cruise the freeways at 70-95 MPH so power into the wind is a concern. But I also pull long hills in the mid 90°F in mid summer..

Thanks for any input here…..JD

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
jdclooney said:
Looking to get some input & expert help on cam selection for my 97 FLHT standard (EVO). I have done some reading in the archives & cam mfg. sites & it looks like some of this has been addressed before but not specific to the heavier bagger.

I am a fairly aggressive rider (well for a bagger rider anyhow) but also like to pop around at a decent low RPM pull & listen to the pipes talk. Almost always ride without a passenger.

In doing some research & talking to a few cyl head porting people it looks like my choices are going to be either the Andrews EV 13 or EV 27 (or equivalent specs) ..

I haven’t decided if I am pulling the cyl heads yet or not.. If I don’t pull the heads it will be the EV 13 for sure so that isn’t the question here.

I am probably going to pull the heads & get a good 5 angle valve job with a nice street porting to increase the mid range flow. I would really like to increase the compression (not exactly sure here so am asking for input from you all).. I was thinking of some where’s in the mid 9’s. (is that too high for an EVO bagger in the summer heat?)

If I go with mid 9’s (maybe 9.5:1) would the EV 13 cam be too much compression down low? If I go with 9.5:1 compression would that allow the EV 27 cam to pull good down low on my heavy bagger? I want to keep the stock pistons so will probably have the heads milled.

I do have a programmable ignition module (Daytona) so can taylor a custom ign. Advance curve if needed.

I guess I am looking for anybody that has been running similar cam specs to the EV 27 in a bagger or has set up that type of cam specs up for some of their customers.. Looking for any & all input on pros & cons of either the EV 13 or EV 27 cam in a heavy bike.. My Bagger is fairly stripped down but still has bags & a batwing on the front. I do cruise the freeways at 70-95 MPH so power into the wind is a concern. But I also pull long hills in the mid 90°F in mid summer..

Thanks for any input here…..JD
The 27 is a great cam but you don't need all that head work with it. The head work will enhance the engines power all through the rpm range, you might look at a TW6 cam with the higher compression that your shooting for. The 27 will work with the higher compression too, no problem.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I second the EV27 choice as I have used bucket loads of them through the years. Good for torque in heavy bikes. If you're going to remove the heads, go ahead with the valve job and maybe mill a bit to add a tad of compression.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Tried the EV13 and the EV27. The EV27 hands down. Will still have good pull from 2k rpm up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts