V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating a cam change to get rid of the chains and worn out tensioners. I'm thinking TW21 or TW26, and I'll probably run a DFO. Running a 2000 RK with stock bore, stroke & heads, and gearing. Stage 1 and two-piece touring mufflers. My question is to those of you who have done a build with these cams, what effect did it have on your gas mileage? I tend to do long runs, frequently in areas where gas stations are few and far between, so it matters to me. I normally get in the high 40s when I'm traveling. Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
With the exception of the exhaust system (true duels), my ’99 RK with 26G cam setup is much the same as yours. It averages slightly better MPG over stock (mid 40’s at sea level), but can muster much higher MPG at altitude and when taking it easy. Any significant differences in MPG that I might have gained are probably all in the state of tuning before and after the cam and exhaust change.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Properly tuned, your gas milage will not drop off more than 1-3 MPG.
I have a 26G in my EG and I get 40 most of the time on the interstate.
My is carbed, so you can do a little better. Still gives me a range of 150 miles with no worries between gas stops.
If I have to streach it, I can ride 60 mph and get close to 50 mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
When my bike was stage 1 with a 510g cam I averaged 45mpg. As high as
50. I have a PC111r. It seems that alot of people on this forum with various
builds have a fairly steep drop in mileage when going with a DFO or similar
tuner. The DFO can only add fuel. IMO a SERT or PC is a far better choice
for tuning however some are able to make a DFO work. The other two are
more expensive and are best tuned by a pro on a dyno.

·
Registered
503 Posts
D F O

nvsteve said:
When my bike was stage 1 with a 510g cam I averaged 45mpg. As high as
50. I have a PC111r. It seems that alot of people on this forum with various
builds have a fairly steep drop in mileage when going with a DFO or similar
tuner. The DFO can only add fuel. IMO a SERT or PC is a far better choice
for tuning however some are able to make a DFO work. The other two are
more expensive and are best tuned by a pro on a dyno.
I agree pc usb the only way to go...ALL the pot type units are a waste of money....I have removed and trashed more than 20 of them :spank:

Good Luck

Steve The Dyno Guy :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I have an '00 FI RKC. It has 26G cams, SE Aircleaner, Stage I, DFO, and V&H Duals with Samson mufflers. I usually get 40-45 riding two-up, loaded heavy, and traveling at interstate speeds.

·
Banned
17,239 Posts
mileage

I have a 2002 carbed superglide sport with BB and TW37g cams. I get 36 mpg but I tend to accelerate at a totally unnecesary rate whenever possible.
Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts