V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dropping my bike off at the dealer, a 2006 Ultra with 36,000 miles to have them check the cam chain tensioners. It has been getting noisy down there and recently the bike has been for no better description, hiccupping or missing a beat when cruising at steady freeway speeds. This may happen several times in one minute or not happen for several mintues? I don't know if the two are related or not. Kinda wondering if cam chain is getting some slack in it maybe?

Dealer says I must pay labor to go in and check tensioniers and they have stated that the extended warranty on a older bike, a 2001 they got in as already been turned down for tensioners. So I don't know if they are setting me up for the its not covered deal? I am on my extended warranty with several years left to run on it.

I went through the same thing on my 03 Ultra at a different dealer at about the same miles. It was ultimately covered under extended warranty with little or no hassle. I wonder why they say it may not be covered now? I guess I will have to wait and see what they say once they get in there.

Who do you bitch to if you are rejected on a extended warranty claim?

Doug

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
They consider it a wear part, so they do not want to cover it anymore.

·
Registered
822 Posts
route66paul said:
They consider it a wear part, so they do not want to cover it anymore.

I was reading up in the manual about changing the cam chain tensioners. Do you need the special tool to locate the cam support plate when you reistall the plate? I know more than few times the manual has called for a specialty tool when it was not necessary.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maxum96 said:
I was reading up in the manual about changing the cam chain tensioners. Do you need the special tool to locate the cam support plate when you reistall the plate? I know more than few times the manual has called for a specialty tool when it was not necessary.
Do you mean the two tapered alignment screws for aligning the oil pump? There is no tool required to install the plate, but you should follow the tightening procedure outlined in the service manual to risk warpage and leaking.

I've heard that the pump can be aligned by just loosely tigtening the four screws that hold it and doing the engine rotate procedure, but the tapered screws only cost about $14 and they make it easier.

As for special tools, you need a sprocket lock tool to take off the cam sprocket and a tool to release pressure on the tensioners. Both are available from Jim's. Creative mechs can probably figure out a way to do it without these tools. If all you want to do is change the tensioners, it is an easy job. On a touring model it takes almost as much time to take off and reinstall the exhuast system as it does to change out tensioners. Changing out cams, going to gears or upgrading to roller chains is another matter and is more involved.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My buddy just had his done at the shop and there wasn't much left of his tensioners and he had 40k on his bike. He spent some extra cash and went with new cams and gear drive while he had it open and the performance oil pump.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, picked the bike up today.. No wear on the tensioners at 36,000 miles... I guess that is good.

One of my complaints was about engine noise tech says he thinks lifters are soft?? and suggested that they be replaced? and while they are in there might as well replace the cam chain and tensioners with the lifters? For a tune of about $985. I passed. Why replace chain and tensiones if the are good? If lifters fail that should be warranty.

Just put it back together and if that other stuff goes bad that is on the warranty.

A second complaint I had was the engnine is skipping or occasional miss at speed...They said that putting on aftermarket slip ons voids the warranty??? They would not fix it. They wanted to ad a programmer and stage one for $700?? I said no I would just put the stock pipes back on...The aftermarket slip on have been on for 30,000 with no problems bike has ran fine. They did say, with stock mufflers back on HD may look at the bike again as a warranty issue if skipping continues.

I do think having the tensioners checked was a good thing keeping in mind my bike is a 2006 Ultra but don't expect the warranty to cover them if they are just worn??

I think you need a failure to have the warranty pick it up. Just ride it until it breaks.

D

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Had mine done the second time at 65K and the ext war picked it up. The war guy said it is how you word it to the war people on the phone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts