V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my deal:

I've got a 2002 Fatboy with 27,000 miles (bought new) I have never had the cam chain tensioners checked, and I usually ride pretty agressive - (smoke the tire once in a while) anyway - I want to go to gear driven cams (maybe Andrews) but I'm running the stock stage I upgrade FI 88CI set up and plan on going to 95CI later.

My question (if I am going to wait until next year to go to the 95CI) should I just have the tensioners checked and replaced if necessary?

Or is there a gear driven cam that can be installed now in my 88CI that will still make good low end and mid range torque when I go to 95CI or?

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Pull the cam cover off and check the tensioners yourself. You can see the outer one easily and see most of the inner with a dental mirror. Odds are, they are in good shape.

If you do decide to go with gears, an Andrews 26 will work well in an 88' or a 95' for low to midrange power.

What part of WV are you in?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I would FOR SURE check those tensioners !!!!! Pull the pipes get a cover cover gasket and check them out, they could could be garbage or perfect but piece of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently had my 01 softail std changed over to a Andrews gear drive kit with the 26G cams. My bike has 29,785 miles on it and the cam chain tentsioner shoe's weren't really worn that bad. Yes they were a little worn but they could have gone another year or two before needing to be checked again. How ever I'am really glad that I don't have to worry about cam chain tensioners shoe's anymore it's a good feeling.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Where did you order your cams from? How long did you have to wait for them?

I ask, because I have had a set on order for 2 months. Hoping to see them soon.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its a crap shoot, guessing mileage. Sure wouldn't hurt to inspect. I did mine 34k. But I think I probably should have took a peak in the 20s.

You didn't mention how many miles you think you will do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts