V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question concerning cam bearings. I've bought Torrington B-148's for the inner bearings. I know the outers use one ball and one roller bearing...but could I use the roller bearings for both and would this be advisable?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The question is: Are you installing gear drive cams or chain drive. If chain drive I would stick to the recommented, roller bearing for the rear cam and a ball for the front. Gear drive use ball bearings for both cams.
The roller bearing was the udated bearing used on the rear cam with chain drive because of the loads placed on the bearing when using a chain. A roller on the front cam is not required.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be using chain cams...since the roller bearings have better load capability I thought it may be worth while for both the fwd and aft cam.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Harley use to run balls on both cams but there was big faliures, so they went to the roller on the rear cam as it has better side loading strenth,
prove design ,

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, can I, or should I run a roller on the front cam...or stick with the ball bearing?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Man, not to be harsh but if you're running chains just get the install kit...
They've actually got it figured out now. :D

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Gulfstream said:
Okay, can I, or should I run a roller on the front cam...or stick with the ball bearing?

I would stick with the standard design which is presently roller on the outer rear position and ball bearing on the outer front.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
newultraclassic said:
I would stick with the standard design which is presently roller on the outer rear position and ball bearing on the outer front.
Guess I will...always trying to build a better mousetrap!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts