V-Twin Forum banner

Cam bearing issue? Indications?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Buddy Seat 
#1 ·
I have a '94 FXDS that I bought with 22,000 miles on it. I've put about 8000 more on it and it's always had a slight whine coming from the cam case. As far as I know it has never been apart. Is this engine one of the ones with the problematic cam bearing in it? Also, is that whining sound an indication that there's a problem? Lastly, are special tools required to change out a bad cam bearing, or is that something that a shop has to do? I don't want to go into this engine unless it's really necessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions/info!

Ride safe,

John

#2 ·
Believe it was 1992 & newer that HD started using the cheep-0 INA bearing..

If you 'whine' is cam related, it could be cam gear that is 1 size too big..

I would be checking, better safe than sorry. Cheaper to check now, than after ~~~~~~~~~

Main special tool is the inner cam bearing puller..Can be found on ebay for much less than retailers sell it for..
It really makes things go smooth since using it you can't drop any needle bearings into the motor case while pulling it out..

#3 ·
The whine is probaly the gear clearance as Buddy Seat mentioned but going into the engine until necessary is kinda like rolling the dice. If the bearing lasts then all is great, if it spins out in the case then the worse case scenerio is engine replacement.

Origional lifters have a life span also but more of the 50,000 changeout. Cam, lifters, cam bearing and adjustable push tubes might be a nice changeout shortly.

#4 ·
Just got the cam out today and found all to be in good shape. Caught it in time. The plastic spacers in the bearing are black & look really brittle. Whoever the MOCO genius was that thought that design was a good idea is a total jackass!

Going back with Torrington bearing, new updated lifters & umbrella valves. Inside of gear case and rocker boxes looks like new. Did a differential pressure test on the cylinders - 78/80 front, 79/80 rear.

If it wasn't for finding about this issue on this forum, I would have just continued to ride in ignorant bliss till it blew up. Thanks for bein' here!!

Y'all ride safe,

John

#7 ·
Just finished doin' the bearing using the ebay puller. Got the installer too, but it was the wrong tool. Used the cam & the old bearing to tap in the new one. Took the rocker boxes apart & used the orig pushrods. Everything in the engine looked new. Installed the updated lifters too. Test run OK. Whining noise pretty much gone too. I'm happy now, but that was a super-tedious and heinous job! I also had to remove the front engine mount screws & lower the engine to get the rear rocker box apart. Glad I won't be doin' that again (unless I get another EVO)! Thanks again to all who responded

Ride safe,

John

#9 ·
Hey Buddy Seat,

Yeah, I had to cut down an allen wrench to about 1/4" too, just to get it broken loose. Then used a miniature pair of channel locks to turn it. Still had a helluva time gettin' that left-rear screw out. It lacked about 1/16" when it touched the frame. Might be a quirk with my particular bike - a '94 Dyna Converitble that has that central backbone right over all of the left-side rocker cover screws.

Anyway, a Sears bike jack and a small regular hydraulic jack did the trick lowering and raising the engine, but it was still a colossal pain in the a$$!

Ride safe,

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.