V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know you have probably discussed this here lots, however I cannot find all the threads, and seeing the tool for rent got me thinking! I have a 99 FLHR not sure of month but vin sequence number of 600K, i think they started fitting new bearing december 14th , so knowing my luck mine wasn't built in those couple of weeks! I now have 11K miles and am concerned, should I try to get the dealer to do the change ( Unlikey) in the UK to say the least, they cannot order standard parts, should I pay for the kit and do it myself (never done internal engine work but everything else I do myself ), or just wait, or sell the bike and get a later one, Love the bike but it is just getting to be more and more of a hassle, can someone cheer me up or confirm my fears,

Thanks in advance

Mark
99 FLHR

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
By Dec 14th they were spittin out 00's not 99's. There is a site where you can punch your vin number in but I don't know what it is. Maybe someone here does.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My buddy and I bought 2000 Police Road Kings. My cam bearings went out at 3,500 miles. He's a t 10,000 and still ok. Someone told him if he made it that far, he'd be ok.

Mine was sudden and quick. Engine light came on, lost power, then lots of bad noises. Bearings broke up........so I had to have a major rebuild. H-D and my dealer took care of me, but my bike was down for 6 weeks for the rebuild while the dealer hashed it out with the Motor Company. It was all covered.

My buddy asked about it, was told they only fix bad ones. Won't do preventative work for it. So you'd be paying for it on your own.

Good luck,

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
One of my riding partners went out at 13,000 +. It was a 99 but this happened in 00. You have a 99 presently, ( almost three years later ) at 11k.

Point is two different riding styles so you really can't gage it. Many of the bikes have changed out the bearings. Some blew early between 7000 and 14000. The rest if they are running are time bombs that regardless of weather they have blown yet or not, the engine surely will die young. IMHO

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
All 99 models (TC88"s) have the rear cam bearing problem. No need to look it up. You are warranted by HD for 5 years or 50,000 miles. I wouldn't sweat it until then. Some dealers will install the Cam Bearing repair kit based on heard or perceived noises from the cam chest. Mine was done and so was a buddy of mine's before any failure occured. Just depends on the dealer. I've got another friend with 96,000 miles still with original stuff and another with 49,000 miles still with original stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I have a 00 included in the ones with the bearing problem. I had 12k on the bike when HD sent out a letter telling me of the problem. The dealers tob tech said that if I hadn't had a problem yet, not to worry too much. He said the bad ones usually go at under 10K. I have 32K on it now and it runs like new. Why fix it if it ain't broke and is still under the warranty they handed out?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Out of curiousity, what should a dealer charge to change cams and bearings (labor)? I realize prices will vary, but what is flat rate time (eg).

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I bought my scoot in Sept 00, I wrote to Milwaukee and enquired as to when my 'engine' was built.
Turned out it was made 4 weeks after they started changing the bearings.
The stealers suck over here (UK) no help whatsoever!
The only way to find this out is to write.
If anybodys gonna do the same, when you write to them make sure you quote:-
the VIN number,
the Engine number
AND the MOTOR NUMBER!!!
Thats the one stamped on the bottom side of the CrankCase, rightside I think, bit of a shitter to see without a lift.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did ya just write to the factory, or a specific department, such as Cam issue, I tink I'll do the same

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
mpjsols said:
Did ya just write to the factory, or a specific department, such as Cam issue, I tink I'll do the same

Regards

Mark
Mark:

Read the previous posts. All 99's have the suspect rear cam bearing. If you just feel you have to make sure, go to www. harley-davidson.com. Look under EXPERIENCE, WRENCHING DEPT, SERVICE CHECK-UP. If you enter your vin # there, you will get back a statement from HD telling you about the cam bearing and warranty.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
mpjsols said:
If ya want it in
Black an White write to:- Laurie Walecki
3700 West Juneau Ave
PO Box 653
Milwaukee
WI 53201
U.S.A

I didn't ask for a specific dept. Just enquired as to the date of manufacture of my Engine not the bike.
Give them details as of what Stealers you got it etc, but the most important bit is that Motor number, bottom side of the crankcase.

Be warned it took a month or two for a reply to get back.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
gbenner said:
Out of curiousity, what should a dealer charge to change cams and bearings (labor)? I realize prices will vary, but what is flat rate time (eg).
On a touring bike with stock pushrods, it is estimated at 5-6 hours since gas tank and rocker boxes have to come off. If you already have adjustable pushrods that can be removed with rocker boxes on or want to install them by cutting out the stock ones with a bolt cutter, the time should drop to 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Just do what I did:

Create an oil pressure problem that no one has ever seen or can figure out. Take your bike to the dealer mechanic and have them tear down the cam chest in search of the oil pressure issues. While they're in there, suggest that they warranty the bearings and cam plate.

Only problem is your still stuck with the oil pressure problem, and no bike for over two weeks...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
forgot to add replace inner bearings w/timkin bearings a friend got stuck
w/a bill for new cases. stock ina bearings failed.harley said so sorry,
screaming eagle cams voided warranty

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Cam Bearing's

Got a buddy with a 99' FLHRCI and his oil pressure light is coming on at idle. Throttle it up slightly and light goes out. Changed the oil, cleaned screens and repalced oil pressure sensor. Problem still exist. Called the original owner and bearings have not been changed. Does this sound like the bearings beginning to fail?

I have a 2000 FLHR with 10,200 on the ticker no problem yet (knock on wood).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts