V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one experience a cam bearing failure due to the roller bearings installed in the first tc88 motors. i have a stock 99 flhtci that picked up a new noise today while riding and its not one of those little nuisances like i've heard of its major. i have just over 26k on this motor that i've had for about 3k miles now and it never made this noise. very noticeable at idle.just figuring worse case senario would be the cam bearing issue i have heard so much about . any input would be appreciated.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Got 2001 one had roller. Back to ball, with gears. I think gaskets and bearing kit is around $40. Need tools to replace needle bearings though. Where cams sit in block. Rest is regular tools. Pulling off exhaust is pain. If I had the cash would look into cams.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Ball bearing are not supposed to take side load of chains. But if you go gear, have to go back to ball cause there tigher clearance then roller. From what I read.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I rode my '00 with the "bad bearing" 52k before changing it. I never had any problems. I decided to do it once the bike was no longer covered under the MoCo's extended warranty for that part.

If I were you, and had a bad bearing era bike making any kind of new noise in the cam chest, I'd get in there ASAP and update it. If you do it before it flies apart, it is no big deal. If you wait until the bearing let's go, the repair bill is likely to go from a few hundred upwards to possibly a few thousand.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Maybe cam bearing or maybe cam chain tensioners. As mentioned by others, by all means get it checked out before major damage can occur. I'd definitely update the cam bearings and probably tensioner shoes too.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
If it in fact is bearings then the extended warentee should get them replaced for nothing. It is good for 50K miles. Talk to a dealer or call the customer service in Milwaukee with a vin number.

·
Terrorists suck!
647 Posts
99igor said:
If it in fact is bearings then the extended warentee should get them replaced for nothing. It is good for 50K miles. Talk to a dealer or call the customer service in Milwaukee with a vin number.
My 99 Ultra warranty was for 50K miles OR FIVE YEARS. I do not think they are still under warranty. Mine went @ 11,500 miles and the noise could be described as bolts rattling in a metal coffee can.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
UltraRick said:
My 99 Ultra warranty was for 50K miles OR FIVE YEARS. I do not think they are still under warranty. Mine went @ 11,500 miles and the noise could be described as bolts rattling in a metal coffee can.
that's same noise i had. if over 5 years they charge an admin fee of $100 and they take care of the rest.:beer4u:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2000 Ultra, do these bikes have the cam bearing problem? No sign of abnormal noise yet, should I be doing something about this potential problem?

My 1993 Evo Dyna Wide Glide had a cam bearing failure at 4K miles and was replaced under warranty with "an improved bearing". No problem since it was replaced. You would think MOCO could get this right.....

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
TC88 cams...

Two of my friends had cam failures in their TC88's. One was worn chain tensioner shoes that caused the failure, the other, dunno. Both messed up long riding vacations. Both occured in the 40k-55k range.

My '01 RG has about 40k and is currently with the wrench getting Andrews 26G (gear drive) cams installed. It took me a while to get all of the parts together as the cams were backordered. I plan on taking some long trips this summer. I didn't want to risk failure and having to be transported to a MOCo shop only to have them install the same bad engineering for the same, or more, money than the geared cams will cost.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
ezrider said:
I am the original owner of a 2000 Ultra, do these bikes have the cam bearing problem? No sign of abnormal noise yet, should I be doing something about this potential problem?
Only "early" 2000 models had the bad bearing. You should have gotten a letter from the MoCo telling you of the potential problem if your bike is included. Your dealer can tell you if your bike is included by running the engine number.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
bseeton1141 said:
are you sure about this?
as stated before, they sent me a letter years ago about the problem. i asked the service dept about what'll happen if it goes over 5 years and he said it's their problem...well mine went out last year on a 00' that was purchased in sept 99'...they hit me for $100 and took care of it.
that was jim's hd in st. pete fl. by the way.:whisper: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Question on 99 ultra classic cam problems

I need some advice..i'm thinking of buying a 99 Ultra classic..the bike is super clean..lots of extras..serviced regularly..and has no current problems.
BUT..it has 53,000 miles on it..the owner says the cam bearings were replaced at around 11,000 miles and that he has no engine issues and it runs and sounds fine.The bikes going for $14.000.00 and to look at it its well worth it in the condition its in.But now I see all these cam and cam bearing issues and naturally am getting a bit concerned.I also see talk of gear drive??
So whats your opinion on a bike thats been well maintained but had over 50,000 miles but runs great with the updated bearings..Any idea of the cost to throw in new cams and bearings just to make sure??
Thanks
Ralph(posttal)
Cleveland,Ohio

·
Registered
251 Posts
The bikes a 99 so it does have the potential..dont have a vin because i'm not buying it untill this saturday..Guess I'm trying to decide on purchasing a beautiful ultra classic that may have a problem..I was convinced i wanted this bike until reading about all the cam bearing problems people have had..Just curious if once the bearings are replace how dependable this motor is.??and if i do purchase it what it might cost to cover my butt and replace the cams and bearings.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I would check the hd web site and your dealer. then if your not satisfied call customer service in Milwaukee. Dealers can do what is called a good will change out which will cost you $50.00. It is at their discression. My cam bearings were done on this good will deal in 2000. The service order was #1100 I think and it changed out the cam bearings, the cams, the oil pump and a few other items. It would be well worth your peace of mind to check this out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts