V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first harley after 40 years of riding arials, bsa, norton, suzuki, etc.---bought a 2000 dyna super glide (used) from a local harley dealer - the bike is mint - only has 3000 km. on it.. heard it run, sounded ok...can't drive it yet - 4 ft. of snow here & -35 celcius with the windchill. I was not aware of a cam bearing problem with these bikes untill a few days ago. I phoned harley, and they have confirmed that my bike was manufactured BEFORE the change over to the new bearings. Does anyone know the magnitude of the bearing problems, ie: what % of the bikes with the old bearings prove faulty, or is it just a few cases? (HD advised me that the numbers were small, also that the extended warrenty on the bearings was not limited to the original owner.) I guess what I'm really asking is what are my chances of these bearings going south on me? I'm a fairly easy ridin' cuss...don"t rip & tear too much..always look after my bikes...try to keep them mint.....hope I didnt buy a lemon - just aware about the potential problems re this issue and looking for some indication on how much concern is warrented. waited half my life to get a harley, real excited now that I finally realized my dream, but this news has taken some of the fun out of it. It's a long time till spring before I will actually get a chance to straddle it & hit the road.

Just remember....."old age & treachery will overcome youth & skill every time!"

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
there has been some discusion on this before, do a search. Some dealers are better about this than others, most have no problems. There is a lawsuit pending in wisconsin mentioned somewhere here. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, if you ever lose oil pressure or here a noise in the cam cavity get it checked, otherwise enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Someone told me it was less than 5% of those bikes that failed. Mine failed at 3,400 miles. I guess mine was nontypical in that it was sudden and fairly catastrophic. H-D covered it completely, including the tow to the shop. The only down side was it happened during a busy riding season and my bike was down for 6 weeks while they rebuilt the engine.

My buddy has 10k on his bike, no problems so far. They won't replace at their expense unless there is a problem indicated on your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.