V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ultra will be at the dealer over the winter to replace the bent frame. while it's there it's gettin' a big bore kit with andrews gear drives but the dealer doesn't want to set up the cams and plate. any suggestions or recomendations?

·
Registered
136 Posts
jnbernstein said:
my ultra will be at the dealer over the winter to replace the bent frame. while it's there it's gettin' a big bore kit with andrews gear drives but the dealer doesn't want to set up the cams and plate. any suggestions or recomendations?
Go somewhere else.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kgoose said:
Go somewhere else.
yeah that's a nice thought but i have about 3 thousand in parts for the crash damage and about 2 in motor parts waitin' until the weather turns to ****. in 70,000 miles on this bike and 3 years with the same dealer i'm gettin' it fixed there. mostly tryin' to find out if this is a do it yourself thing since all of my motor experience is with shovels but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
jnbernstein said:
yeah that's a nice thought but i have about 3 thousand in parts for the crash damage and about 2 in motor parts waitin' until the weather turns to ****. in 70,000 miles on this bike and 3 years with the same dealer i'm gettin' it fixed there. mostly tryin' to find out if this is a do it yourself thing since all of my motor experience is with shovels but thanks for the suggestion.
Why not wait on the gear dive until you get your bike back from the dealer with the new frame and other repairs. Then, uisng the good info available here and also on Mr. Harley Hog's website, do the gear drive yourself.

The vendors on this site also have excellent deals on gear drive units and camshafts. You would need some tools but those can be rented or purchased.

Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
newultraclassic said:
Why not wait on the gear dive until you get your bike back from the dealer with the new frame and other repairs. Then, uisng the good info available here and also on Mr. Harley Hog's website, do the gear drive yourself.

The vendors on this site also have excellent deals on gear drive units and camshafts. You would need some tools but those can be rented or purchased.

Good luck.

i guess i figured it would be easier to do while everything was apart since all the motor stuff is sittin' in my spare bedroom and i couldnt see pullin the exhaust and cam cover twice when it could all be done at one time. i'll check out the info on that web site and maybe get a second cam plate so it's ready to go in in place of the old setup. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
newultraclassic said:

Good luck.
Where can i get some info on changing my cams myself?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well if you got experience working on shovels you are going to love working in the cam chest of a twin cam. You don't have to wrassle with the lifters and lifter blocks either. It's all modular in there, camplate w/cams, oil pump. Once you get all the chains and tensioners gone and the gears on its a piece of cake, just line up the dots and torque everything down.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
mori55 said:
Where can i get some info on changing my cams myself?
You'll be glad ya did...ENJOY!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts