V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 injected Fatboy with the Edelbrock 95" RPM Performer kit, stage 2 download, SERT, SE air breather and V&H bigshots. The bike runs well up top but lacks the low-mid torque and everyday driveability I really wanted. This Edelbrock cam is also running the stock cam chains. I think this cam it too wild and I want to go to a gear drive setup with roller rockers. The cam in the Edelbrock kit specs out at;

Duration @ .053" Open/Close* Valve Lift** TDC Lift
Int. Exh. Int. Exh. Int. Exh. Int. Exh.
246º 254º 20º/46º 52º/22º .619" .619" .188" .193"

The Edelbrock heads have 72cc chambers, 175lbs of seat pressure and are set up for up to .650 lift cams. The compression ratio they quote is 10.25 to 1

I ride 1 up and want lots of torque in the low to mid range. I don't care much about top end.

Any cam suggestions from you guyz is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the advice. I hear the 2 into 1's perform better but I don't like the look. Do you know of any pipes that would be better suited for my needs with decent style & sound?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I would also recommend the Woods TW-5G lots of low end torque
You might also want to consider a gear change too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Doesn't Edelbrock advertise 110 ft lbs with that kit? With the 46* intake closing and 10.25 comp, my guess would be exhaust would solve the problem.
Try Hooker 2-1 tuneable.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I got two of my buddys running the same
package on carb bikes. I hate to say this but
if you had a good 2:1 pipe, the bottom end tq
comes alive and pulls past 6000 rpm's. I feel
that the pipe is what makes ANY engine package
perform to it's peek ( when tuned ). So many
people overlook the exhaust when spending all
that hard earned money on a motor combo.
Invest in a pipe and leave the motor alone!!
The looks will grow on you.

Happy New Year

·
Registered
780 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
i dont know of any but im sure grock will be around or one of the other guys if your really looking fo more power hdwrench (gmr performance) has a 98in kit that produces a sh*T load of tq over 100tq and 100hp. grock just did a 98in kit with deweys heads if i could rember i think it was like 105 hp and 118 tq tw6hg cam and deweys heads. but you have to keep i thing in mind grock is a efi perfectionist and deweys heads are tops in their class. them to together will yeild excellant results. im sure they used a 2into1 pipe but not certain. the dyno will be posted after the holidays im sure.
GROCK pulled 107 hp. and 120 TQ. with a 98 inch and Woods 6HG cams - Dewey's heads. Cycle shack slip-ons.

·
Banned
871 Posts
If you want a bike that pulls really hard from idle up to about 3500 rpm, which is what you want for a street bike, you need cams with low duration numbers (below 240 deg) and a good 2-1 exhaust. That will give you the most bang for your buck. There are a couple 2-2 exhaust that work ok, but not as well as a 2-1 like the T-header or Pro-Pipe. They alone will make a huge difference!

·
Banned
871 Posts
Rthomson said:
Thanks for the advice. I hear the 2 into 1's perform better but I don't like the look. Do you know of any pipes that would be better suited for my needs with decent style & sound?
If you really have your heart set on a 2-2 exhaust, you can get ok performance from the Bartels or the Python III systems. Check out www.nightrider.com and look in their performance section under the exhaust testing page. They ran a comparison of several exhausts. The results clearly show the the 2-1 systems are by far more superior, but there are a couple 2-2 that work reasonably well. Ask yourself which is more important... looks or performance? Personally, I tend to care more about how the bike runs than how it looks. Mine's not a show bike, after all.... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
RThomson - My name is John Gabriel and I am a sales and tech rep for Edelbrocks Motorcycle Products. I would like to help you out with some of your questions.

From the picture it looks like you have the Big Shot Staggered pipes Vance and Hines part number 17907. If that is true they have a pretty nice torque curve if everything is tuned properly. Are you using the Edelbrock map with your SERT? Are you running the air cleaner that came in the kit? I would be happy to fax you some dyno sheets showing that pipe and others with this kit. Sorry but I don't have a way to scan it. There are differences in torque especially in the 2500-3500 RPM range with different pipes. I realize that everyone has their preferences in Pipes for looks, sound, and performance. If you want to keep your pipes that is fine we can work with that.

I was able to ride a dresser with this package on a 2400 mile trip last summer. This particular bike had a 2 into 1 Pro Pipe and I was very happy with the power it made and the everday ridability. The average milage was also about 42MPG and I wasn't riding it with milage in mind.

If you really think that you want to change the cam I would be happy to put some numbers together on different cams. You need to be very careful in selecting cams as they have a huge effect on the overall combination. Some of the cams suggested here so far may put your cranking pressure up higher than pump gas will tolerate. I would have to run some numbers to be sure.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you want to send me a fax number. Thanks,

·
Registered
780 Posts
There is a dyno with the big shots staggard {V-H} on Dewey's web page. Andrews 37G cams,9.8 - 1 comp. 103 hp. 108 TQ. you will notice how the TQ. hangs around 90 in the lower rpm then shoots up to 108. If you start at 90 tq. you will have a smile on your face.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
rthomson,

If you didn't put a custom tune on that combo, you may have lots of power waiting to show itself. Most EFI problems are in THE TUNING. If someone just dropped a stage II map into the ECU and said you are good to go, then you need to squeeze out the rest of the ponies and pounds with someone that knows how to tune the SERT on the dyno. There is no canned map from the dealer that is going to go anywhere near the Edelbrock combo. That cam is a pretty good mid to upper runner with decent low end. You didn't mention dyno numbers so I am assuming that you were not tuned. You need timing and fuel adjustments, along with exhaust tuning and cylinder trim with that height on the valve lift, duration and cam timing. There is a good chance you are running real lean on the front cylinder and pulling the charge right thru the small chamber if your timing is out of whack from front to rear. IMHO, on the heads, the exhaust valve are too large and they have a intake port floor that may be good for carbs to help atomize, but is detrimental for getting maximum intake charge pressure that can be attained on a direct shot EFI set up. In other words, they flow well, but the velocity is not what we see on other heads. The few sets that we did on these we unshrouded the intake valve as we found that we had better flow when we removed some material from around the outer edge of the intake. The set up is really for HP as the kit itself with Edelbrock cam that you have will develop more HP than TQ, and if you you are looking for low end grunt, that is not what you want with a twin cam. We could just about crack 100 on the TQ graph with a 95 with that combo the three times that we installed it. But don't start changing out parts before you are sure that you have the optimum out of what you have. And for all you guys that always recommend a 2 into 1 pipe change...... out of the box, the 2 into 1 will usually get you better numbers. But exhaust TUNING on 2 to 2's, especially with bigger cams and cubes can do wonders for a bike. Hardly anybody does it anymore, but it should be part of any complete tune. Silver Bullet was right on that 98 we did...... 107 HP and 120 TQ (we build for TQ). The pipes??? Cheap ol' Cycle Shack M series slip ons, with TUNED baffles.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My scooter dyno'd 85 hp & 84 torque. The harley shop that dyno'd it said it wasn't running lean or rich. They said it was right in line. I have a stage 1 flash and the Edelbrock sert map directly from Edelbrock. In my city, there is only 1 guy who dyno tunes with the sert. He charges $800-$1000. For that cash, I was going to put a power commander in it and have that dyno tuned. Or perhaps the Terminal Velocity unit....

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Boy, you better open wide there, buddy! Sounds like you are getting it from all directions where you live. HD says you are right on the AFR money but doesn't have a dyno sheet so curious on how they know. And the guy that says he can tune it, it charging somewhere around $250 to $300 (or better) an hour. Whoooooeeeeeeeee! Happy New Year to you!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm wondering if part of the trouble is due to the fact that I did not do the stage 2 flash on the ecu. Just the stage 1 with the edelbrock custom sert map. I wonder if the edelbrock map depends on being layered over a stage 2 map. If I knew of someone near my area that could tune it properly w/ reasonable cost, i'd do it in a second. The few people who custom tune in my area all push the power commander and shun the sert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bob - The SERT map replaces any map that was already in place so your previous Stage 1 or 2 has no effect. With a Power Commander it is a different story
You should be seeing 100 HP and 100 TQ with the pipe you have.

Are you running the Complete Edelbrock Package? Heads, Cams, Pistons, Head Gaskets, Air Cleaner?
You should verify that you have the correct map loaded for the Pipe you are using.
Are you using the pipes as they came out of the box with baffles?
I would like to help you get this figured out. I think when we get this handles that you will not think that you need to change the cam. John

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
With that combo you are way off with 84 - 85. Something very wrong! Sounds like Mr. Gabriel is willing to help you along there! Pretty good when you get a rep right from the manufacturer try to personally handle your issues. If you haven't done so already, I'd contact him. Lots of power waiting on the table for you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts