V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I swapped bikes with a friend and rode his baby (only 1100 miles). It is a springer classic and he said at 40 mph he could feel the bumps in the road. So I rode his bike and sure enough there was something happening around 40 mph but I do not think it was the road because if I rode faster or slower, it smoothed out.

So we were talking about it and he was told that it is the nature of the springer set up to do that. I think there is something else. HD is notorious on feeding customers "It's the nature of (insert bike here) to (insert handling problem here)" instead of actually owning up to a potential problem.

He is not a forum member and asked me to put the issue out there for comment. I too am wondering what is what on this as well.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 06 FLSTSCI and I don't feel anything different at 40 as compared to any other speed for a given road. At least I haven't noticed anything.

What exactly are you noticing or feeling?? I'm curious!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
CaptainChet said:
I have an 06 FLSTSCI and I don't feel anything different at 40 as compared to any other speed for a given road. At least I haven't noticed anything.
There should be a sensation of what's going on under the bike but it's not speed specific...

springer- said:
Check the wheel for tru and balance. Check spokes too. I would guess it is more of a wheel problem than a Springer problem.
All of the above...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CaptainChet said:

What exactly are you noticing or feeling?? I'm curious!
To me it feels like a wheel out of balance, but we are wondering since he just picked the bike up a couple hundred miles ago. It is like a steady bounce but not at a high frequency, it is low. This could be because the front absorbs only so much of the bouncing and lets the rest pass through to the handle bars. It is definately in the front and not the rear.

I think the dealer cut corners on the last service and are feeding him BS by telling him that is "just the nature".

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
R-RatedCustoms said:
To me it feels like a wheel out of balance, but we are wondering since he just picked the bike up a couple hundred miles ago. It is like a steady bounce but not at a high frequency, it is low. This could be because the front absorbs only so much of the bouncing and lets the rest pass through to the handle bars. It is definately in the front and not the rear. There is a damper shock on the front end that all but eliminates "highway harmonics" that used to occur on the older springers/girders...there should be no steady bounce, the front end should react to the surface relatively evenly and smoothly.

I think the dealer cut corners on the last service and are feeding him BS by telling him that is "just the nature".
You last sentence is the most likely scenario...pull the valve stem and put in a liquid balancer...it's a cheap and easy test. (remove the wheel weights)

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
I would start by lifting the front end off the ground and spinning the front wheel. Then look for obvious wobble or out of round of the wheel. Look at all aspects while it is spinning. Lookf at the rim, the tire, watch it from the front and from the side.

We just had a brand new '08 in with a bad bounce to it and when we spun the rear wheel is was WAY out. It is a spoke wheel and needs some attention. I took a video of it and will post it soon.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Personally, after 20,000 miles, I don't feel anything like that. There are those who claim the stock shock is weak, and there is an aftermarket shock that is supposed to clear up any bounciness, but I've never experienced it myself. In fact, I can tell any real difference between the springer and regular forks.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I have no sensations on my bike, I think "springer-" has to right advice.

Was that rim wobble in the video caused by a poor lacing job?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That wouldn't be 'normal' or 'nature of the bike' - It's a problem somewhere. I've owned a '97 and now an '03 FXSTS, and never felt anything odd or peculiar like that.

Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 99 FXSTS, when I had 12" apes and the stock buckhorns I felt a slight wobble between 45 to 50 mph. I have 18" apes now, no wobble at any speeds, well under 115-120 mph lol

I went thru the same scenario with stealerships and some indys, they told me it was the nature of springers, but I have ridden a couple of buddies springers and they did not have the wobble. I checked rim, spokes, tires etc but everything was OK. So I am not sure why the wobble went away with taller handlebars.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
evilspringer said:
I have a 99 FXSTS, when I had 12" apes and the stock buckhorns I felt a slight wobble between 45 to 50 mph. I have 18" apes now, no wobble at any speeds, well under 115-120 mph lol

I went thru the same scenario with stealerships and some indys, they told me it was the nature of springers, but I have ridden a couple of buddies springers and they did not have the wobble. I checked rim, spokes, tires etc but everything was OK. So I am not sure why the wobble went away with taller handlebars.
Did you happen to put air in the tire about the time you changed em out?

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
springer- said:
Check the wheel for tru and balance. Check spokes too. I would guess it is more of a wheel problem than a Springer problem.

I agree with Springer.
Bad tires or rims show themselves at 40 - 44 mph.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A big thanks to all

I am supposed to get with the guy and go riding in a few weeks. I will bring all this up then. Somethings are easier to explain and check in person.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar problem with my springer,had only 2800 miles on original tire.I took it back to dealer and convinced them to change front tire. They charged me for tire but it fixed problem.I went straight home and called Harley and they refunded my money.

In my opinion air pressure needs to be kept 36 tp 40 psi. I have had no tire problems since. My manual calls for 30 psi in front but this is too low for my springer. I brought this up to Harley over the phone and they could not answer how much air to run.

I got the air pressure problem answered on this forum from some guys with springers and so far has worked well.

There is some helpful info on this forum and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have 5000 miles on my '06. No problems with front end. I love the way Springer handles............I had a Dyna before, Springer handles much better!!!!
By far, Springer Classic is "The best bike available"
Too bad, H-D stopped making them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
MGB-BRAT said:
Have 5000 miles on my '06. No problems with front end. I love the way Springer handles............I had a Dyna before, Springer handles much better!!!!
By far, Springer Classic is "The best bike available"
Too bad, H-D stopped making them.

I think its great that they stopped making them. Anybody that has one is lucky as the price will hold as demand soars! Your scoot is one of the nicest yet.:yes:

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,261 Posts
Had a similar problem with my Deluxe when I first picked it up. Sort of a subtle "rythmic" bounce. Was more noticeable at certain slower speeds (40-50) and smoothed out at higher speeds. Turned out the wheel was slightly out of round and spokes needed to be re-tuned. Fine after that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts