V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has painted their stock calipers with chrome paint? I have the old style '98 calipers that are black with a decal in the center. I know the new stock calipers have an insert from the factory, and look good as is. I'm just not too psyched about the prospect of spending a thousand dollars for chrome calipers. Do you think the chrome paint would look good or chintzy? Thanks.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Wtf

Chrome paint....what are you thinking? Chrome paint belongs on step bumpers of 30 year old pick up trucks, not your harley. And if you mean some of the new high tech chrome paints... those are designed to be sprayed on a glass smooth surface, over a polished black base. It might be more labor intensive than actual chrome. The cheaper thing would be to have your calipers polished. It would have the flash, you'd just have to re-polish periodically....or get a set off e-bay and dissasemble them yourself, and send them out for chrome, then rebuild them yourself. Didn't mean to be disrespectful in the first sentence, but chrome paint wouldn't really offer the right look...just my .02¢

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I appreciate the feedback. If it would look like "crap," I wouldn't do it, so I'm glad I asked.

I have a set of Harley caliper covers, but haven't installed them yet. I'm disappointed that they're stick-on as opposed to bolting on, but maybe they'll work out, I hope. Actually, I haven't installed them because the temps are so low up here in MA (bike's in a shed), and I don't think the stick-on things will hold very well if I install them in such cold temperatures.

The chrome paint idea is behind me now. Thanks again.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I would use a hair dryer or a heat gun if you wan to do it know......It will stick better

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TXCHOP said:
I would use a hair dryer or a heat gun if you wan to do it know......It will stick better
Great idea, didn't think of that. I have a bunch of stuff I'm installing, so I'll throw on the covers last, by then it will be much warmer. Thanks.

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8-Ball, they have caliper covers that stick-on and look pretty much like Harley's covers, and I found caliper skins which look amazing but don't seem to fit my bike's year. I'll give my Harley covers a try first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts