V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California Harley-Davidson, Harbor City, California.

The service managers are friendly and knowledgeable, I am not sure about the mechanic who worked on my bike. On 8/31/07 my 2001 Ultra broke the final drive belt. I called service, and was able to get it in. As the day went on, Patrick in service called with updates, one of which was to tell me I needed a transmission shaft seal. I told him I was going on a trip, and asked that they replace ALL the seals, and anything that MIGHT fail out on the road. He said he would take care of it. I picked the bike up that evening, and left on a road trip. When we reached Santa Barbara, my riding partner told me my bike was smoking. I looked and saw that oil was leaking out of the primary and all over the exhaust system. I thought it might have been overfilled, and was leaking the excess out the vent. I ended up riding for 9 days on the road, and adding 1 quart of lubricant to the primary every day. At each dealership I stopped at to buy the lubricant, the service writers gave me their opinions on possible causes, and they all told me to take it back to California Harley. One service writer checked the bike and said that the final drive belt was too tight, and that caused the main seal behind the pulley to fail and leak. He showed me this by comparing the tension on my belt to others in his service area. I asked if adjusting would help, and he said no, the damage has already been done. The best I could do is ride it and keep adding fluid.

When I returned to LA, I took the bike back to California Harley. Montana was the service writer who took it in. She did a walk around the bike checking all the lights and horn. Upon looking at the odometer and seeing it at 39K, she a suggested a 10K service. I declined because I have all my work done by Jim Brown at Harley House Calls (He does excellent work, but was unable to take my bike on the 31st). Several hours later Montana called to tell me that the seal that failed was the mainshaft seal. She went on to say that inasmuch as it was behind the sprocket, it was not part of the original repair and was not touched or replaced.

Needless to say I was not pleased when I went to pick it up, paying twice for what should have been taken care of properly the first time. Montana explained all the technical aspects of the seal being behind the sprocket and that its failure had nothing to do with replacing the final drive belt. I told her that if the mechanic who serviced the bike the first time paid a little more attention to his work this would not have happened. I said the seal was NOT leaking when the bike was towed in, and that it started leaking 30 miles after I picked it up. I knew it was pointless to mention what the other service writer who told me about the belt being too tight and causing the mainshaft seal to fail. I just paid the bill. When I got the bike back I did some slow riding in the dealer lot to make sure there were no leaks. I also checked the belt, and it was not as tight as when I brought it in the second time. The men and woman in the service department at California Harley are prompt, nice and get back to you quickly. However the mechanic who worked on my bike was less than diligent. He over tightened the final drive belt, and that caused the mainshaft seal to leak. While others may have had good results with California HD, my experience is that instead of acknowledging their service mistakes and taking care of the customer, they look for ways to charge the customer again.​

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I vowed NEVER to buy anything from that dealer after confirming a price on a new '03 FXST on the phone, then making the 50 minute drive over there only to have the "agreed price" change to $900 higher. After heated exchanges I walked out in disgust.

I've bought three new Harleys since that afternoon, one in Irvine and two in Canoga Park. :nono:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hamilton said:
I vowed NEVER to buy anything from that dealer after confirming a price on a new '03 FXST on the phone, then making the 50 minute drive over there only to have the "agreed price" change to $900 higher.
Okay,

That pretty much tells me EVERYTHING about them from sales, and now service.​

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
That is bad news for sure. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, you'll have forgotten about it when my riding class comes around!!!

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DR_DEUCE said:
That is bad news for sure. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, you'll have forgotten about it when my riding class comes around!!!
Not to worry, I have you and your five cohorts on the roster.
Didja say there might be a seventh joining you?​

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Mark.. the seventh guy flaked. He was the one who needs this class the most. Actually, he doesn't even need a speedo, he needs a PEDOMETER, he walks that thing so much.

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
DR_DEUCE said:
Mark.. the seventh guy flaked. He was the one who needs this class the most. Actually, he doesn't even need a speedo, he needs a PEDOMETER, he walks that thing so much.
Hey Doc, you talkin' crap about me again? :harhar:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay,

Thanks for letting me know.

Mark

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Paniolo said:
California Harley-Davidson, Harbor City, California.

The service managers are friendly and knowledgeable, I am not sure about the mechanic who worked on my bike. On 8/31/07 my 2001 Ultra broke the final drive belt. I called service, and was able to get it in. As the day went on, Patrick in service called with updates, one of which was to tell me I needed a transmission shaft seal. I told him I was going on a trip, and asked that they replace ALL the seals, and anything that MIGHT fail out on the road. He said he would take care of it. I picked the bike up that evening, and left on a road trip. When we reached Santa Barbara, my riding partner told me my bike was smoking. I looked and saw that oil was leaking out of the primary and all over the exhaust system. I thought it might have been overfilled, and was leaking the excess out the vent. I ended up riding for 9 days on the road, and adding 1 quart of lubricant to the primary every day. At each dealership I stopped at to buy the lubricant, the service writers gave me their opinions on possible causes, and they all told me to take it back to California Harley. One service writer checked the bike and said that the final drive belt was too tight, and that caused the main seal behind the pulley to fail and leak. He showed me this by comparing the tension on my belt to others in his service area. I asked if adjusting would help, and he said no, the damage has already been done. The best I could do is ride it and keep adding fluid.

When I returned to LA, I took the bike back to California Harley. Montana was the service writer who took it in. She did a walk around the bike checking all the lights and horn. Upon looking at the odometer and seeing it at 39K, she a suggested a 10K service. I declined because I have all my work done by Jim Brown at Harley House Calls (He does excellent work, but was unable to take my bike on the 31st). Several hours later Montana called to tell me that the seal that failed was the mainshaft seal. She went on to say that inasmuch as it was behind the sprocket, it was not part of the original repair and was not touched or replaced.

Needless to say I was not pleased when I went to pick it up, paying twice for what should have been taken care of properly the first time. Montana explained all the technical aspects of the seal being behind the sprocket and that its failure had nothing to do with replacing the final drive belt. I told her that if the mechanic who serviced the bike the first time paid a little more attention to his work this would not have happened. I said the seal was NOT leaking when the bike was towed in, and that it started leaking 30 miles after I picked it up. I knew it was pointless to mention what the other service writer who told me about the belt being too tight and causing the mainshaft seal to fail. I just paid the bill. When I got the bike back I did some slow riding in the dealer lot to make sure there were no leaks. I also checked the belt, and it was not as tight as when I brought it in the second time. The men and woman in the service department at California Harley are prompt, nice and get back to you quickly. However the mechanic who worked on my bike was less than diligent. He over tightened the final drive belt, and that caused the mainshaft seal to leak. While others may have had good results with California HD, my experience is that instead of acknowledging their service mistakes and taking care of the customer, they look for ways to charge the customer again.​
I would get the second mechanic to right that on the repair order and take them to small claims court. When people let them get away with this crap, it just makes them keep doing it. They need to get spanked. All some of these dealers care about is money, and when they lose in court, it changes thier attitudes.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
route66paul said:
I would get the second mechanic to right that on the repair order and take them to small claims court. When people let them get away with this crap, it just makes them keep doing it. They need to get spanked. All some of these dealers care about is money, and when they lose in court, it changes thier attitudes.
Paul,

I've been calling and leaving messages. and he's not returning it. Somehow I get the feeling that when asked, he "won't remember" the conversation. Really makes you wonder about ALL of them, doesn't it?

Mark​

1 - 10 of 10 Posts