V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Michigan and have a 2004 Road King. I'm planning to move to California. So a question for the California guys, how do I get a bike without Cali emmisions registered in California. Do I have to sell it here in Michigan and buy a new bike out there that meets California emmisions requirements?:blink: I love the bike and would hate to sell it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Dmv

Go to the California DMV website. They have information specifically about this. I believe there is a mileage floor (i.e. at least 7,500 miles) or something like that. In any case, I was once considering buying a non CA Road King and decided against it because of what I found on the site. That bike, though, had only 2,000 miles or so on it and CA considered it "new".

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
flhrsi04 said:
I live in Michigan and have a 2004 Road King. I'm planning to move to California. So a question for the California guys, how do I get a bike without Cali emmisions registered in California.
Here's your answer, from the California DMV Web site:

"If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new federally certified vehicle in California if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in your last state of military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence of your vehicle’s previous registration and that you were a resident of the other state when you acquired the vehicle."

This means that if you've owned the bike for a while in your home state, the 7500 mile rule doesn't seem to apply.

Here's the page the info comes from:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Of course, things change, so I would verify this further with a phone call.

Hope this helps. Shame to sell a bike you love if you don't have to.

Philip

·
Dog on a Hog
195 Posts
Aside from the great weather (most the time), CA is not always a forgiving state when it comes to stage regulations... Make sure you go through all DMV regs before you move. In any case, :welcome: to the peoples republic of CA!~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information...sounds like I'll be okay bringing my bike with me out there.:woohoo:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts