V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I took a 3 day ride from L.A. area up the coast, route 1 to be exact. Up through Cambria, Big Sur and up to Monterey. Headed back down the 101 to Paso Robles and on home. Could not ask for better weather.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Nice pics. I enjoy riding the coast this time of the year when there are relatively few tourists around.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Yeah, well, I envy you while I shiver in 20* temps. Been on that route several times, nice pics.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
When winter weather gets weird in California, one of two things happen. Either it never stops raining, or it doesn't rain at all. December has been dry in California, and as a result, it has been real nice riding weather. So to all of you who are freezing, come to California next week, rent a bike and enjoy the ride.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
It is beautiful country, I did up and down the coast (not all the way) from central point of San Fran, also rode over to Yosemite.

Do you have more pics?

rkc

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is beautiful country, I did up and down the coast (not all the way) from central point of San Fran, also rode over to Yosemite.

Do you have more pics?

rkc
Just a couple of others here of the same trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Daum lucky people. This is definitely on my bucket list.

·
Retired TMCM(SS)
539 Posts
Last year we took a weekend trip to Death Valley and up the Eastern Sierras. I love that area near Bishop and Mammoth.
I was just looking at Mapquest at that area. Routes 190 and 395; what are they like? Santa just upgraded my wife from a Sportster to a Deluxe and she wants to go somewhere new.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I was just looking at Mapquest at that area. Routes 190 and 395; what are they like? Santa just upgraded my wife from a Sportster to a Deluxe and she wants to go somewhere new.
395 is just wonderful. To the west you have the entire eastern escarpement of the Sierra which makes for spectacular views for a couple of hundred miles. 190 is pure desert fun. You go through both the Panamint and Death Valley's. 190 going east out of the Panamint is especially nice. It is modern, extremely steep and well graded. As a result you can go charging into the curves and if you find you are going to fast, you merely have to roll off the throttle. The steepness of the road will slow you down, no need for braking. Stop at Zabriskie Point (near Furnace Creek) if you get the chance. 178 through the Panamint is also nice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My wife and I took a 3 day ride from L.A. area up the coast, route 1 to be exact. Up through Cambria, Big Sur and up to Monterey. Headed back down the 101 to Paso Robles and on home. Could not ask for better weather.
Fantastic; winter blues went briefly seeing your photos.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As mentioned, 190 is a great desert road. That is a section we road to and from Death Valley after we came up through Trona and then over to the 395. The 395 is beautiful all the way from Ridgecrest area to northern California. I plan on riding that area again next fall. I would not recommend taking that journey in the summer time though.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I would not recommend taking that journey in the summer time though.
Right now it is likely to be quite cold in some sections of 395, the sections at higher elevations. So if you plan a ride this time of the year, check the weather forecast for the different villages along the route. North of Bishop you leave the Owens Valley, and the elevation gets higher.

Summer is not a bad time. It usually is not too hot in the summer to comfortably ride. It is a lot cooler then Death Valley, if that was your worry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love the coast. Finally got to visit last year but it was a business trip and I did not get to ride it but did get to make the drive between Monterey and Big Sur in the rental car. Next trip will be with my wife and definitely taking the bike or renting one while we're there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When saying summer time is not a good time for this ride I was referring to the 190 and Death Valley. The 395 is no problem. In fact, riding any of these routes in September or October is perfect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts