V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody remember how to calibrate the compass, I did a search but no exact procedures. I never got the instructions when the stealer put it in and after I disconnected my battery it never was accurate anymore.
Thanks........... Mike..................

·
Registered
107 Posts
Go back to the stealer. They can pull them off the Harley Dealer Site (h-d.net). This way you'll have them for the next time.

Don't take no for an answer, I have gotten instructions for several things they installed for me and did not save the instructions like I asked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Compass recalibration procedure

This is a scan of the last page of the Installation Instructions. I hope this helps.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
:duh?: ...man after reading those instructions, this is how I'd calibrate;

1. Buy an Atlas
2. Replace compass with Oil Temp gauge
3. Ride off into the sunset!

:roflback:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smartazz here, but I recalibrated mine right into a trash can !

Anytime the dealer would do any service where they disconnected the positive battery lead, the damn compass would have to be re-calibrated again. And that calibration only works from your location. If you travel any distance at all, the calibration goes whacky. You can always recalibrate it for where you end up however...... then you have to do it all over again when you get back home.

Mine finally got to where it finally only said I was going due north, no matter where I was headed. I replaced it with an oil temp gauge.

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jimaroo said:
This is a scan of the last page of the Installation Instructions. I hope this helps.
Thanks Guys, I found a similar calibration procedure on the net and could not get it calibrated, it's still stuck on N. I think i'm going to recalibrate with a ball pean hammer and get a oil temp gauge. Thanks anyway for the help... Milke.......

Edit anyone have the part number for the fairing mounted oil temp kit, can't seem to find it... Thanks.....

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
HD Service Bulletins

I've read at least 4 service bulletins concerning the HD POS compasses. Seems they don't work very well, period. They can't hold the calibration. The FORMOTION COMPANY supposedly makes a compass that can be calibrated for any bike except GOLD WINGS !!!! Aint that something......Take that you rice burnin POS (hehehehehe)

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
I've read at least 4 service bulletins concerning the HD POS compasses. Seems they don't work very well, period. They can't hold the calibration. The FORMOTION COMPANY supposedly makes a compass that can be calibrated for any bike except GOLD WINGS !!!! Aint that something......Take that you rice burnin POS (hehehehehe)
This is a coincidence (Honest!!) Late this afternoon, before I read this post, I ordered the FORMOTION Compass. They are shipping it today, should have it early next week, and I will let you know if it works. I have some "extra" metal on the Trike, and when I asked the H-D dealer about installing the dash mounted compass, they laughed! Said don't even try. The folks on the phone at FORMOTION said I should have no problem. I should have asked them why it did not work on a Wing.:harhar:

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the compass and had it recalibrated 3 times a the dealer. It is STILL not accurate (about 45-90 deg off) in certain directions. The recalibration can be done by owner by toggling some switches and driving around in circles (in a large not-busy parking lot for example) 12 times! The directional sensor for the compass is NOT in the compass, but usually mounted back down low near the right bag. The compass seems to "bump" every 45 deg....not give a "continuous" directional heading like a real compass. I think GPS is far better solution if your into that sort of thing, and get the oil temp guage instead.

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boy I forgot about this post but anyway the outcome was I had a bad compass head and the stealer changed it when I had the scoot in for a dyno run. I wish I originally had a temp gauge installed but did not know at the time they were available. I am going to change it in the future. Mike.........

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Go get an old mineral spirit compass from an aircraft salvage yard and hang it on your handlebar. They are idiot proof and you can calibrate them easily. Ugly as sin but they work great. They are made to live in a hostile environment and are repairable. FOOK the HD electric units!

-2$en#e-

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
berno56 said:
Go get an old mineral spirit compass from an aircraft salvage yard and hang it on your handlebar. They are idiot proof and you can calibrate them easily. Ugly as sin but they work great. They are made to live in a hostile environment and are repairable. FOOK the HD electric units!

Amen Brother. If it goes bad again a temp gauge goes in and I guess I'll for the sun to come up or go down so I'll know what direction I'm going.
LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts