V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there ridden in Los Cabos, Mx? I'm trying to find out if the limited road options there are worth the costs to rent a harley while I'm there.

Thanks in Advance,

FL Fatty

·
Registered
434 Posts
It is my understanding that there is a violent criminal element about down there. I don't know how prevalent it is, but just something to check out.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
This probably isn't relevant, but about 20 years ago I drove the full length of the Baja, from Tijuana to Cabo. It was quite an experience, both good and bad, but I would NEVER do it again. I now realise the potential for ending up in a Mexican prison, and the difficulties and expense of getting out. You are considered guilty until proven innocent in Mexico, and a ****** is considered guilty until he pays enough !

If you get t-boned at a light by a drunk Mexican driver YOU go to jail until your insurance pays, even Mexican insurance. Your witnesses, if there are any, probably speak only Spanish, so expect to need an interpreter. I have been to every tourist town/trap and border town in Mexico and always have fun, cautious fun. I stopped driving there years ago for the above stated reasons. Chances are that you will be lucky, but if the Police or the Federales stop you, and speak little english, but seem to insist that you did something wrong, what do you do ? Drop a $50 and look away ? I think it's easier not to drive and to avoid drugs. Taxis are cheap in Mexico. Go and have fun but don't drive I say...YMMV. They treat tourists well but you are still a wallet there !

When we drove the Baja I heard a scam that the Federales were pulling. They would have a roadblock, and search your vehicle. Finding nothing they would release you. A few miles down the road you would come to another roadblock. There they would "FIND" the small amount of drugs that was planted at the last roadblock. Now you would be faced with prison or bribing an official, which is what it was all about in the first place. Mexican policeman are paid very little. Not enough to feed a family. Go figure !

Good policies in Mexico are: Be polite and respectful. Have a good time, get drunk but not too rowdy. Avoid drugs altogether. Avoid policemen and Federales (Army). Bring sunscreen. Don't drive. When you go out at night, bring a photocopy of your passport. Leave the real thing in the safe at your hotel along with your airline tickets. Only bring as much money with you as you can afford to lose. Leave the rest in the hotel safe. Change $100 max at one time. That's plenty to have fun or shop. Fancy jewelry and gold makes you a target too. Ask a taxi driver how much to go to your destination before going, not on arrival. Go and have fun...Tom

G

·
I've ridden there. Cabo is an overdeveloped tourist area. As soon as you get north of there it's great. You can make the loop north from Cabo to Todos Santos, then over toward La Paz, then back down the gulf side through Las Barilles (probably the prettiest area of this loop), and through San Jose del Cabo, back to CSL. This loop is all excellent 2 lane road, with some really nice curvy mountain riding between La Paz ans Las Barilles. There is one section there where there had been flooding that had washed out a short section of the road, leaving a dirt detour, that was no problem whatsoever.

Never give a cop $50.00 USD. If you get stopped, just shake hands with a 100 peso note in yours. He won't count money on the spot, and you'll be on your way.

At every road block we encountered in Mexico (about 3000 miles of riding) we were just waved through, and there were none in Baja Sur.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39218

Harris

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
It's been years since I've spent any time in Mexico and I truly like it a great deal. That said - I don't recommend driving there, and would not be doing any touring there on my bike for the reasons stated earlier.

On my last business trip to Mexico City, an armed guard met me at the airport and chauffered me around. Company policy. Go figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I DRove the length of Baja 2 years ago and spent 2 months in Todos Santos. Chevy Truck,20' boat,2 dogs ,2 30 year old ******'s and a bunch of surfboards and beer. Not even 1 problem with the "Man" ( they are all kids,,except for the federalies). Cabo is a hole I would avoid (other than picking up the rental) And like prieviously stated the Todos Santos,LaPaz,Los Barriles route is super cool. Have Fun. JJ

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Baja trip

I just completed a trip to Los Cabos. I left Las Vegas, NV on a Road King, met a friend near Palm Springs, CA with a Dyna. We went to La Paz, Todos Santos and both of the Cabos. Traveled just over 3000 miles, most of it in Baja.
The trip was great, people were friendly and we were ready to go back the next week. We saw a number of folks on bikes.
With common sense, a little planning and an ability to roll with the punches and you will have a good time. There are a few spots where the distance between gas stations is over 100 miles so you need to plan a little so that you know when and where to fill up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Baja trip

I just completed a trip to Los Cabos. I left Las Vegas, NV on a Road King, met a friend near Palm Springs, CA with a Dyna. We went to La Paz, Todos Santos and both of the Cabos. Traveled just over 3000 miles, most of it in Baja.
The trip was great, people were friendly and we were ready to go back the next week. We saw a number of folks on bikes.
With common sense, a little planning and an ability to roll with the punches and you will have a good time. There are a few spots where the distance between gas stations is over 100 miles so you need to plan a little so that you know when and where to fill up.
What about safety for the bikes overnight in hotel? Did you leave the bikes for any other times like a swim in the ocean?
I’m considering a trip to La Paz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.