V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new cams in my bike and went to go change all three holes of oil when I went to go put oil in the engine I could only fit about 1 1/4 quart before the engine would overflow I found on other forums that if you remove the spark plugs pour a little bit of oil in the pushrod holes and then crank the engine for about five seconds wait 20 seconds and then crank it for five seconds again three times That the oil should pass through the crank chest and I’ll be able to add more oil to the engine is this the best way to prime the Cam chest? Sorry if this has been talked about before I’m new to the forum and just try to seek some knowledge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I put new cams in my bike and went to go change all three holes of oil when I went to go put oil in the engine I could only fit about 1 1/4 quart before the engine would overflow I found on other forums that if you remove the spark plugs pour a little bit of oil in the pushrod holes and then crank the engine for about five seconds wait 20 seconds and then crank it for five seconds again three times That the oil should pass through the crank chest and I’ll be able to add more oil to the engine is this the best way to prime the Cam chest? Sorry if this has been talked about before I’m new to the forum and just try to seek some knowledge
Sorry forgot to mention it’s a 16 Dyna Street Bob

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Never heard of this...are you sure it was 100% empty before you started adding oil?

·
not sober all the time
5,822 Posts
Use the service manual to find the correct drain for engine oil. Follow the steps in said manual to drain and fill the engine oil tank.

·
Registered
694 Posts
..... if you remove the spark plugs pour a little bit of oil in the pushrod holes and then crank the engine for about five seconds wait 20 seconds and then crank it for five seconds again three times .....
What I heard was you could walk around your house 3 times, counterclockwise, knocking on the front and back doors each time, it would do the same thing.

Yeah. Hate to think you drained your transmission thinking it was engine oil, went for a ride with an empty trans. How did the transmission and primary changes go? Have you gotten to the point of refilling them yet, or are you stumped by the engine oil?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I heard was you could walk around your house 3 times, counterclockwise, knocking on the front and back doors each time, it would do the same thing.

Yeah. Hate to think you drained your transmission thinking it was engine oil, went for a ride with an empty trans. How did the transmission and primary changes go? Have you gotten to the point of refilling them yet, or are you stumped by the engine oil?
If you could read I was doing a three hole change so everything was getting changed

·
not sober all the time
5,822 Posts
That's cool. Act like a punkass child and figure it out yourself. Better yet, pay someone with enough intelligence to follow written directions to do it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's cool. Act like a punkass child and figure it out yourself. Better yet, pay someone with enough intelligence to follow written directions to do it for you.
If I’m on here asking the question about the engine not taking the amount of oil it should and has every other time I’ve changed it don’t you think I have been through that step already?

·
Registered
694 Posts
It does sound pretty complicated, doing 3 things at a time. Maybe you should just do 1 thing first, and then move on to the next task when that is done.

BTW, how do you get to the pushrod holes by taking the plugs out? Inquiring minds want to know.

What did they say on this other forum where you got your magic solution? You wouldn't be the first one to do something like this. Everybody has a brain fart sometime or another. I once poured a Qt. on the ground during an oil change, thinking I was refilling my old FX with the 4 Qt. tank. That was after doing oil changes on this Dyna for at least 20K miles. My mind must have been somewhere else. I managed to figure that one out all on my own.

If I’m on here asking the question about the engine not taking the amount of oil it should and has every other time I’ve changed it don’t you think I have been through that step already?
That remains to be seen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does sound pretty complicated, doing 3 things at a time. Maybe you should just do 1 thing first, and then move on to the next task when that is done.

BTW, how do you get to the pushrod holes by taking the plugs out? Inquiring minds want to know.

What did they say on this other forum where you got your magic solution? You wouldn't be the first one to do something like this. Everybody has a brain fart sometime or another. I once poured a Qt. on the ground during an oil change, thinking I was refilling my old FX with the 4 Qt. tank. That was after doing oil changes on this Dyna for at least 20K miles. My mind must have been somewhere else. I managed to figure that one out all on my own.

That remains to be seen.
Removing the spark plug is a separate step from the push rods. You get to the push rods by taking the tube clip off and sliding the tube up so you can see the tappets. I don’t understand how it’s had to understand that I emptied the engine, looked in my clymer book to verify the amount of oil for the engine, went to fill the engine when only about one quart fit before overflow. I ask a question saying hey guys the specified amount of oil isn’t fitting and get told to use the specified amount of oil

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
I don’t understand how it’s had to understand that I emptied the engine, looked in my clymer book to verify the amount of oil for the engine, went to fill the engine when only about one quart fit before overflow.
1) Did you drain the oil out of the oil tank under the trans or drain the engine?

2) You're actually trying to pour oil into the engine?

3) Dump the Clymer manual and get an official Harley Davidson service manual. Clymers and Haynes lie at the the most inopportune moments.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have you tried my suggestion from post #5 yet? Makes as much sense as the other way you came up with.

Let me ask another question. Are you doing all these fluid changes as part of your cam change? If so, that makes 4 things, way too complicated.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
749 Posts
If you changed cams the engine should be pretty well drained. Only oil left in there is what could be in the sump side.

You're not trying to add all the crankcase oil to the tranny fill hole are you? That would definitely overflow after about a quart and half.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,099 Posts
Try a bit of punctuation to make your post understandable. Welcome to America, use English.

Yes it was empty
How much oil came out when you emptied it?

If you could read I was doing a three hole change so everything was getting changed
That whole "three hole change" makes you sound like a rube. You don't change oil in "the holes", you change the oil in the primary, transmission, and engine; especially when you're trying to ask for help on the internet.

How does anyone here know how many times (if ever) that you've changed the oil? How do we know you drained it correctly? Did you remove the filter and replace it or just pull the drain plug?

Removing the spark plug is a separate step from the push rods. You get to the push rods by taking the tube clip off and sliding the tube up so you can see the tappets. I don’t understand how it’s had to understand that I emptied the engine, looked in my clymer book to verify the amount of oil for the engine, went to fill the engine when only about one quart fit before overflow. I ask a question saying hey guys the specified amount of oil isn’t fitting and get told to use the specified amount of oil
That Clymer book is strike 2. Get a real service manual for your bike.

Since you don't seem to understand how this works, let me try to spell it out for you.

We can't see you or your bike. We can't hear you. We don't know anything about you or your abilities. We don't know exactly what you did to lead up to this point without you telling us. If you can give enough information (without being a dick about it) for us to paint a clear picture of your situation, then I'm sure we can help you out. If not, then go fill up your spark plug holes and crank away.

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
If not, then go fill up your spark plug holes and crank away.
But we'll need video.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,833 Posts
Yes it was empty
I have no idea where you went wrong on this, but if it only took a qt and a half to fill it, it was not empty. That's a cold hard fact.

Past that you can not pour oil down the pushrod tubes by taking the spark plugs out. Whoever told you that is an idiot, or seriously trying to screw with you.

So go back and drain the oil pan into a clean container. be sure to take the fill cap off. Measure (estimate) how much oil drains out. Then with another clean container, drain the sump (crankcase) Make sure you heat that little drain plug, its got thread locker on it. If you end up with close to or more than the amount of oil it holds, then it was not drained completely. If you get more than a few oz's from the crank case, its sumping and may have an issue with the oil pump or how it was installed.

Just for shits and giggles, here are the drain plug locations

This is the sump drain plug, it is only used for diagnosing oil pump issues.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts