V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
To be legal, CB's are limited to 4 watts output.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Get a linear amp and mount it in the tour pack,along with a good power mic. And a couple of 102 inch quarter wave whips mounted on the back and you will be walk'n and talk'n.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I think it has more to do with the displacement of the mount. There isn't enough surface area like the roof of a car or truck. The Harley's only have the small plate in the bottom of the tour pack. At least that is what my rocket scientist friend tells me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
wvwayne said:
Get a linear amp and mount it in the tour pack,along with a good power mic. And a couple of 102 inch quarter wave whips mounted on the back and you will be walk'n and talk'n.
Nice thought even if it can't be done. Of course, if the propagation is punk, you won't be talking beyond the ground wave. Such is life.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Phil P. said:
Nice thought even if it can't be done. Of course, if the propagation is punk, you won't be talking beyond the ground wave. Such is life.
Just get yourself up on top of a mountain and wait for the skip to roll in on SB.:brows:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
The 4 watts is right if your getting that much. The antenna and lack of a ground plane is whats killing you. A 102 inch Stainless steel whip is a quarter wave on 11 meters (cb band). Use the longest antenna you can or like and strip the braid out of some old coax, tin it and make a ground strap back to the frame. That's about as good as it'll get on a bike.

FatDave
Amateur Radio Extra Class

1 - 7 of 7 Posts