V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please read the article in the link below.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/breakingnews/bwdeaths.htm

It's extremely saddening to hear of a death of one of our own, someone dying doing something they love. :(

But, this article is the first time I have NOT read the usual, (insert deceased name here) was NOT wearing a helmet.

Instead the quote below tells US what WE all know. That alot of the time people have no F'in clue someone else besides them is one the road!

"Highway Patrol Trooper Kim Miller said automobile drivers, not motorcyclists, were at fault in most of the deaths."

Kudos to the Trooper for stating what happened and the paper for actually printing that!

My prayers go out to those effected.

Ride Safe!
Bry

·
Registered
310 Posts
" David Batson, 60, of Cocoa Beach, was riding his motorcycle about 1:20 p.m. Wednesday when an oncoming pickup truck made a left turn in front of him, according to a state police report. Batson crashed into the truck and was thrown from his motorcycle. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The truck’s driver, Joseph E. Cokes, 64, of Mascotte, was not injured. He has not been charged. "

not charged. that must be nice. i figure if i did that im sure i would be charged with some kind of infraction at least.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
"Not Charged" You see it all the time. Thats why we all have to join the AMA and support the "Justice For All" Campaign. Unless we're a very LARGE voice, we'll continue to be swept aside like yesterday's news. Join now. www.ama-cycle.org
And no, I do not have a financial interest in the AMA. Just a personal interest in our chosen lifestyle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
"Not Charged" You see it all the time. Thats why we all have to join the AMA and support the "Justice For All" Campaign. Unless we're a very LARGE voice,
we'll continue to be swept aside like yesterday's news. Join now. www.ama-cycle.org
And no, I do not have a financial interest in the AMA. Just a personal interest in our chosen lifestyle.
Just because he hasn't been charged, doesn't mean he won't be. In fact, this is probably a good sign that he will be faced with an arrest based upon a soon to be issued arrest warrant.
Arrest warrants in these situations are better because the probable cause to make the arrest has already passed a major hurdle and that is a review by a prosecutor. Additionally, it gives the police time for lab testing of drugs...something a breath test (for alcohol) will not show. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its a shame about all the bikers that get ( rest in piece ) during Bike Week or any other times when these Damn Cages and older folks just don't mix!!

I own a home in Flagler Co and my Brother lives in Punta Gorda, and he always tells me to be very Careful when I move down there, Because he sees them running into the back of Bikes at the Gas pumps! WTF?

Ride Safe!

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Oh man the tolls up to 10 now.......Sad really sad....And bike weeks not over yet.......

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
TXCHOP said:
Oh man the tolls up to 10 now.......Sad really sad....And bike weeks not over yet.......
Holy crap! Already up to 10 and the last weekend hasn't even started... :(

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
geeeez wtf is going on there, doesn't any body give a flying ffuck about bikes???
i think it's about high time that one of the PRIME requirements for a car/truck licence is a firsthand knowledge of motor cycles and their particular vulnerability to other road user's inattention and inexperience.
for myself, my first bike was because i couldn't afford a car, so when i did get a car, i kinda knew the danger i COULD be to the guy on the scoot. as i've said before (i know, somewhat tongue in cheek), 2 years on a bike and THEN a car licence may be granted.
but please, let's try and put a stop this needless maiming and killing of our brothers and sisters ...

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I think there are also alot of "newbies" taking their new bikes to these events when their really not ready for a trip like that. That's not to say that there aren't alot of cagers out there that shouldn't have a license.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
6PM news tonight listed 12 deaths to date. The police spokesperson said 1/2 caused by drivers the other 1/2 caused by bikers. The first fatality was a crotch rocket doing 50-70mph. Runs a red light on one wheel killing himself and the passenger in the cadillac he hit broadside.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
this is incredible and sad. Is Sturgis this way as well. I am planning on going there later this year.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Heard to FHP totals this morning was 12 killed and 167 total accidents involving M/C.

I think a lot of the problem has to do with off season rusty riders in extremely busy unfamiliar surroundings taking advantage of our no-helmet laws. Too many distractions cause the bikers to ignore cager threats they would normally see. The cagers ignore the bikers routinely, it's just that the locals expect it.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I don't know how many of these accidents happened on I-95 but North of Daytona it's a war zone between the road construction and crazy drivers. I'd highly recommend taking US 1 North when leaving Daytona north bound. It's a nice ride with very little traffic until you get to Jax and I think it's actually quicker.
On another note I read a story about a lady pedestrian that was run over by a guy on a bike at a cross walk. Seems she was crossing and didn't get across before the light changed and the guy ran over her. Paper said the cops came to the hospital where the lady was being treated for minor injuries and gave her a ticket for causing the accident. From this story it seems the local LEO realize they have a problem even with pedestrians. Be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I-95 is a death trap from Jax to Miami. Stay off it if at all possible. It is the only major truck route from north to south on the east coast in FLorida.

Rte 1 or even better A1A is much safer. A1A runs right along the coast line and is a real nice ride.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
bigal51 said:
as of 6pm sat eve,it's up to 17-Al
WOWIt make me not want to go down next year....Had a buddy of mine call me today an tell me a story of one of the guys he saw die.....Truly saddening....My prayers go out to the familes no matter who fault it was.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Daytona Bike Week

The last count was 12 bikers killed. It's like open season on us down there. Yesterday a Stanley Steamer service truck pulled in front of 2 bikes,both bikers killed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, and that count doesn't even mention all the non-fatal wrecks. Leaving IronHorse Friday night, a buddy and I were about 1/2 mile behind a wreck. A drunk bicyclest was riding across US 1 from a bar to home and was hit by a Springer. We didn't actually see the wreck because a truck was between the wreck and us, but from what I could tell the Springer tried to avoid the bicycle, hit the curb to the grass median, highsided, and landed about 50 feet down the road. It didn't look good for either guy, but I haven't found any articles about the wreck, so that gives me hope that both survived.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.