V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 03 FXDL with 12,000 miles on her and last Sunday after about a 150 mile ride I noticed a buzzing/whining noise coming from the cam cover area. It just started. It' not constant, It's just when the engine is coming back to idle after reving a little. Any clues?

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Cam chain tensioners?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I had a loose clamp on my heat shield that drove me nuts...a buzzing on decel either riding or after reving it sitting still...

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
mountaineer said:
I've got an 03 FXDL with 12,000 miles on her and last Sunday after about a 150 mile ride I noticed a buzzing/whining noise coming from the cam cover area. It just started. It' not constant, It's just when the engine is coming back to idle after reving a little. Any clues?

Check the battery cover....

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
One very important upgrade to protect your health

Once you are in the cam chest, don't forget to install the reinforced billet-style Delkron made cam chest cover. It's protects your right leg from shrapnels caused by disintegration of the dreaded tensioners. This upgrade is highly recommended by the greatest proponent of SE parts on the forum, CSoday.;) :sofa:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I added a lic plate frame and shortly after began noticing, at certain revs/speeds a buzzing sound. Took a while to find, as it appeared to be coming from the front of the bike. First thought was oh no! Engine rebuild.:eek: My point is, look for the simple stuff before you start assuming its coming from the motor.;)
Fred

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I had a loose clamp on my heat shield that drove me nuts...a buzzing on decel either riding or after reving it sitting still...
One of my heat shield clamps was completely broken. The buzzing wuz terrible. I assumed it wuz the Rivco air horn I had installed until I started checking around.....

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Once you are in the cam chest, don't forget to install the reinforced billet-style Delkron made cam chest cover. It's protects your right leg from shrapnels caused by disintegration of the dreaded tensioners. This upgrade is highly recommended by the greatest proponent of SE parts on the forum, CSoday.;) :sofa:
Better yet, for you chrome lovers,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've checked the heat shields and such. It's definitely coming from the cam cover area. Guess I'll be pulling it off this weekend and taking a look at the tensioners.
I'll let you know what I find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts