V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying used 15, road king. Bike has 7700 miles on it and couple of owners (come from mid west). The motorcycle dealer changed the oil, new battery, brake fluid and new front tire..... rear tire has a date of 3/19 so it’s newer. Question is they looked out the bike but what else to look for on the bike before I buy it? Any suggests? I was wondering how long about like brakes and rotors how long they last? Dealer check them but it’s a auction bike just wondering. Thanks brothers

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Knowing it's an auction bike would make me shop somewhere else. Multiple owners and having to sell at auction throws up a red flag.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
999 Posts
The local dealership sell bikes with potential problems at auction. I personally traded in one with a known issue, they sent it to auction rather than dump it on a local customer. Avoid it. lonslo

·
Registered
542 Posts
One has to question why it's had a couple owners in 5yrs. I wouldn't consider it. Used bikes or rentals from dealerships makes me think what they have been through and what they go through on a daily basis. They start them up, ride them out to the front of the store, then at the end of the day start them up and ride them back into the warehouse. Repeat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have purchased a couple bikes that have been through the auction. I have a friend that has purchased dozens.
Not a single problem with any of them!
All of these bikes made their way to the auction for one of two reasons.
The bikes were traded in at car dealers for vehicles and the car dealer simply wanted the bike gone.
They were repo bikes being sold by the bank. I know.. Repo bikes make some people scared as hell! Contrary to popular belief the bikes didn’t appear to be trashed and no problems were ever found.
I have zero fears of a bike from an auction. Of course I won’t buy a bike unless I have the opportunity to do a full day test ride.

·
Registered
866 Posts
"Of course I won’t buy a bike unless I have the opportunity to do a full day test ride."
When does an auction allow you to ride for a full day?, Many I have been to, they don't even start them, AS IS.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The only few auctions I've been to i have found out auctions are not for me in person, competing to purchase a item is really no fun, I'd rather purchase in peace.

As for the bike, I don't know if the ABS problem is a issue with that bike.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
I was talking to a guy over the weekend who is 120 days behind on his scooter payments. Hasn't worked since last March because of the Covid. He went to the bank to arrange to turn the scooter in and they told him to just keep it, as long as he keeps the insurance up, they are are willing to let him slide till the quarantine ends.

Sound to me as if they have so many bad auto loans that they can't move them.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I was talking to a guy over the weekend who is 120 days behind on his scooter payments. Hasn't worked since last March because of the Covid. He went to the bank to arrange to turn the scooter in and they told him to just keep it, as long as he keeps the insurance up, they are are willing to let him slide till the quarantine ends.

Sound to me as if they have so many bad auto loans that they can't move them.
?? maybe I need to change my mind on bank auctions!!

Therm by chance you know if that was a Credit union bank by chance?

one wonders how many are in default,

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Buying used 15, road king. Bike has 7700 miles on it and couple of owners (come from mid west). The motorcycle dealer changed the oil, new battery, brake fluid and new front tire..... rear tire has a date of 3/19 so it’s newer. Question is they looked out the bike but what else to look for on the bike before I buy it? Any suggests? I was wondering how long about like brakes and rotors how long they last? Dealer check them but it’s a auction bike just wondering. Thanks brothers
If the price is right I say go for it. Breaks and rotors should be fine if the dealer said so. Unless it was used in low-speed competition they brakes should be good for 30,000 or more. Service manual has the inspection for them.

Usually the rear tire wears sooner than the front, did you check the date code on the rear?

Reactions: Cheveré

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
?? maybe I need to change my mind on bank auctions!!

Therm by chance you know if that was a Credit union bank by chance?

one wonders how many are in default,
No idea. Local bank I think.

As for defaults, the sub prime auto loan market is in free fall at the moment. And at some point it will exhaust its sources of capital and crash. That will kill the vehicle sales business, seeing as 60%+ of vehicle sales are on sup prime loans.

The big repop sale in Harrisburg was drowned in scooters 2 year ago. Sportsters were being offered in lots of 5. That market segment was in the tank last winter, before the covid lock downs. So it has to be worse now. And its a big enough chunk of money that it could effect the rest of the markets if the defaults boil over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Of course I won’t buy a bike unless I have the opportunity to do a full day test ride."
When does an auction allow you to ride for a full day?, Many I have been to, they don't even start them, AS IS.
If you read my post.. I said I have purchased bikes that ( have been through the auction)
these bikes were purchased by a wholesaler or dealer, and yes I was able to do as long of a test ride as I wanted.
I have attended the auction with a dealer friend a few times and they are able to start and drive the cars and motorcycles around the lot to check them out the night before the auction.
I suppose they are taking some risk.. but that’s part of the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts