V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the dealer today, letting them take a look at my brakes (problem I can't figure out). Anyway, they had an 08 FLHX with everything on it, ABS, cruise, CB radio...It was 23.7k out the door (supposedly MSRP in there, somewhere). Beautiful bike. I kept looking at it--then thinking about the friggin payment, and starting over again.

I have an 05 Road King (paid off) with about 19K, various doo-dads (which are worth nothing on a trade-in). The salesman said KBB was 14.7k for my bike. They'd give me 11K on a trade-in. Guy was honest and told me they make more on used bikes than new, because they buy the used stuff so cheap and sell for what it's worth.

The rental guy--who I was talking to while the salesman did something else--said my bike would bring 15.5K pretty readily on the open market (this is SoCal). He handles all their rentals, and used to wrench. His opinion is that when Cali starts motorcyle smogging (it's only a matter of time) they'll start with 07 models and newer. Also said they've worked a lot of the issues out of the 08's that were prevalent in the 07's, e.g. lean/heat, and the 08's run pretty strong.

I had the salesman work up a quote. At 8.99%, financed over 5 years, I'd be paying $264/month after trading my bike in. Not to mention, I'd lose 3.7K on the trade-in. Needless to say...but damn, that FLHX was nice. Pearl grey.

Not much earth-shaking here, just some specific numbers for any of you thinking about doing something along the same lines...

Alan

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
If you can stay the hassle of selling the bike yourself thats the way to go. 23.7 seems a bit much for what you are saying was added to the bike. Unless you want the CB, get one with the ABS and install the cruise yourself it's a piece of cake, you can pick up one from HD of Chicago for about $200.
Good luck, you'll really like the SG.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:hmmm: I'm keepin' my '05 for a couple of more years. 22k miles, runs perfectly, having gear driven cams installed this winter. In a couple of years it'll be worth very little less than it is today. Don't see the point in getting a newer bike yet. Besides, in a couple of years I'll be getting near 60 and perhaps old enough for a geezer glide.

Lefty

·
Registered
417 Posts
For 23,700 you could get an Ultra with ABS (and which also has cruise, rear speakers, CB, intercom, lowers, etc.) if you're thinking about an Electra Glide.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Besides taking a beating on the trade you'd be paying over $3k in finance charges. Not smart in my opinion. If you can't afford to pay cash for a toy then you don't need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts