V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im new to harleys, i dont even own one yet.. i was looking to buy a 2002 XL 883C SPORTSTER 883 CUSTOM
im 6'3 185lbs. is this bike a good one to start? too small? i have experience with dirtbikes and once in a blue moon i get to take my fathers sportster 1200 around the block. im going to take the motorcyle course that is offered here in NJ. i would like to here some feedback before i decide on what to do/ what to get. thanks, Everett

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I told my girl Leece (huckelberry1) that there was a guy 6'3" and 185#'s who was asking about buying a 883 Sportster. She asked "why is he so xxxx?" OK, you get the idea. Don't do it!!!!! A 883 is much too small a bike for a rider your size. Maybe a 1200? Although you'd look "big" on it, a 1200 would be fun. You will not be happy with a 883.

Indeed, while I know a lot of guys who ride Sportsters, and I think Sportsters are fun bikes for short trips, I know a lot more who regret not just going with a Big Twin to begin with. If it's a factor of money, maybe you'd be happier with a large metric cruiser for a couple years while you save for a Big Twin? Or just plan for an additional year of payments on a Big Twin. IMHO, the 883 is not the bike for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Soon,
I agree. The Sportster is not the bike for you. I use to own a 883 "hugger". I'm only 5' 8", 170lbs. The bike fit me just fine, but after riding it for a couple of months I knew I needed a bigger bike. I think that you'd be much happier if you bought a Kawasaki Vulcan or Mean streak. Also, take a look at the Yamaha Road stars on the Honda Ace. Great bikes for about what you'd spend on the Sporster.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've decided on the XL SPORTSTER 1200. my father has the same bike but its a 88. i've ridden the bike plenty of times and im going to buy that for my first bike. after that its off to one of the big boys. what do u think? all opinions are appreciated. thanks, Everett

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I think we already told ya what we think....and you told us you've already decided to get it anyway. Good luck when you trade it in on a big twin.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
New Sporty???

Hey Soon,

I'm with the rest of the boys on the Sporty being too miniscule for a gangly legged individual. I went the same route many years ago and finally came around to my FXDX.

Check out an FXD! The base Superglide is only a couple grand more than a 1200 Sporty and twice the bike.

Just my .02

Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i couldnt get the loan right now, and the guy at the dealer said that whats out there is whats left unless i want to order one for 2003. he said they would be in around november or december. i think thats what im going to do(prob. gonna get a bigger bike too!):)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Although I really enjoy my Sporty, I can't help but daydream about that all black Super Glide Sport! It looks like the bike was made for ME! I have yet to ride one, but I am hoping it's a little more comfortable than the hard ride provided by a Sporty. New England roads are rough and I feel every crack in them. Everybody told me that I would trade up, just did'nt know it would be so soon! Anybody want to buy a truck?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts