V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Strangers (some stranger than others),

I need a little advice, I've been looking to buy my.... first Harley...
(yea, yea, yea, lets get all the name callin outa the way right now lol)
Been going back and forth, new or used, new or used. Right now I'm leaning toward used.
I found a used RKC that grabbed me by the huevos and said "HEY, AMIGO. YOUR COMING WITH ME!"
Seems like a good deal too. 1998 RKC 95th Aniv. model, 21,000 mi. Some extras (bars, pipes, seat, etc...) $14,000.
Any input from you old and wise folks would be appreciated. Any problems that year etc...

I gotta decide SOON, the 2003 models are going fast.

Booner

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd be a little skeptical of anyone even attempting to give you advice. It's like asking someone who you should marry (the latter being a somewhat easier decision) I believe each bike has it's merits, and you have to weigh them yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome, booner!

Booner? Booner? I've heard that name somewhere!!!!:D

Welcome, booner. Thanks for coming up and putting up with our stuff while some of us where temporarily hanging out there.

Take a look around here. You may find the answer to your question.
Check www.kbb.com for comp prices on the year bike you're looking at. What kind of condition is it? Miles? bla bla And what is your opinion of the bike? That is really the MOST important factor.

Oh, the Forums go down for maintenance for a FEW hours mid-day today.

And NO, no one works!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, I guess I'm lookin to see if there is anything to beware of that year and model.
Early EFI work ok? Stuff like that

booner

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I saw my 01 RK. You need to make the decision about the price. After all you're the one that will be "stuck" with it at the end :D

Judging by the kbb pricing they aren't too high but not exactly a deal by any stretch. I guess at this point the goodness of the price is determined by how bad you need to buy that particular one. If you plan to keep it and ride it until the wheels fall off (i.e. not speculating) who cares what you paid? As long as you're happy with it!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
The earlier EFI system did NOT work as well as the newer systems. I'll get some disagreement on that statement but it's generally acknowledged that EFI has come a long way in the last few years.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stopped to see her tonight. She's a beauty alright. Goin back tomorrow to but some money down! I may not have the deal finished for a few more weeks though. gotta do a bit of horse tradin to get a little more money.
Damn, I'm psyched! been looking for a long time.
Here is a pictureof it. (at least one that looks like it)

Booner

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Roller Bearings?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
No wait! Get the Vin number and check to see if it is part of the affected bearing recall. Once title changes, you may be screwed on getting the bearings swaped out under warranty. AND if they dump on ya, it could get expensive. Get the VIN # and check.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Isn't a 98 an evolution or the first year twin-cam??? Hence no bearing problems if It's an evo. Or am I just having a brain fart ???? I've had a 94/95/and two 2000 EFI bikes with no problems, guess It's like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. Good luck if you get it.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Twin Cam 88

I believe the TC-88 engine came out in the 1999 model year. The 95th anniversary model would be a Evo.

Good reminder though, JimmyK. Those members considering a 1999 or 2000 model bike should keep that issue in mind. Could save 'em big heart aches.

I thought (???) the MoCo made some nebulous arrangement that they'd cover any of the affected bikes up to 50K miles. Does anyone remember what the MoCo finally did to resolve this problem?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I remember recieving a letter about a 50,000 mile coverage on the cam bearings on my 2000 FLHTCUI. I never had a problem and sold it when I bought the screaming chicken.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you can swing it I would buy a new one every time, and try to get it from a dealer that sells at msrp, plus you can probably get better financing on a new bike, unless you are paying in cash.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
pasadenajim said:
The earlier EFI system did NOT work as well as the newer systems. I'll get some disagreement on that statement but it's generally acknowledged that EFI has come a long way in the last few years.
A VERY long way... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts