V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2000 Dyna touring, forward controls, digital dash, chrome (every accessory) from Harley from chain guard to emblems to luggage racks. It also has a 80 spoke front wheel and new tires. 20k miles, primo condition. They're asking 11,995 but well come off that.

I know book has to be around 6,900 or so any bargaining tips. Or should I walk away. I know 20k is where you want to sell a bike. I'm just wondering if accessories can command a such a larger number.

I was think around 8500.00 the book of a 2001 dyna with a few accessories.

Help!! or am I :beatdh:

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are a couple of online sources (NADA/etc) that can help with what the vehicle is worth given it's condition. Add-ons don't move the base cost/worth up as much as the seller believes. Here in Texas the State MVD has a 'book' on used motorcylces/cars/etc. that is used to determine what the buyer has to pay in sales tax. It only figures the worth of the vehicle and the add-on stuff does not count at all. Maintenance records would count more with me than shiny stuff.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Bike is 12 yrs old, sounds like a lot of money to me.

Ron
To me as well. What particular model are you looking at? KBB retail price for a Super Glide is in the $6K range. Even with all of the add ons, $11,995 is way over priced, but you knew that. If the bike has been for sale sometime, I think an offer in the $7K range is more than fair. Of course, the bike needs to be checked out from a mechanical standpoint to see if it's worth it.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Anyone who says that add-ons don't increase the value of a bike is an idiot. It makes the bike much more appealing to the buyer since they know it'll cost them a lot more to modify a stock bike to the way they want it. I payed $10 grand for my bike which is older than the 2000 Dyna, so $12 grand seems like a good price to me. If you talk the seller down to $11 grand you'll be doing well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Is this being offered by a private seller or dealer? If a dealer, you know they are likely trying to build the price up to provide a healthy profit. If a private seller, ask them to document what has gone into the bike. It may be that the add ons are indeed primo and are deserving of an upward adjustment to the price (although again, I think the original price is too high).

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
The prices on used bikes vary by a large amount and the price is always negotiable, unlike the price on a new bike. Plus everyone knows that the seller will always start high since most people like to offer less than the advertised price.

I got my bike on Ebay for the opening bid price. When I picked it up the guy told me he didn't build this bike to sell it and that I got a heck of a deal. He also said he thought he would get a lot more bids than just one. My brother thought so too since he's owned a lot of Harley's and knows how much it costs to modify them.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I paid 10,500.00 for my 2000 springer 6 years ago

Hey I just looked KBB list it for 10,065.00
I would not plan on getting that much even tho it is in great shape

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know extra's can command a higher price but it seems their (dealer) are trying to get back almost everything. I was entertaining the thought of around 8,000.

What I was really wanting is a trike, kind of a chopper look with some small storage on the backside. This bike is to get me back on the road until I find the perfect trike, that's why I don't want to get covered up in a bike, because like you said you can't expect to re-coop you entire investment.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
552 Posts
I bought my 03 WG beginning of year for 9500 out the door with 15,000 miles on it in show room condition.
March has always been good to me for a time of year to buy bikes and if you can wait you will reap the benifits.
As far as 20,000 miles to sell a bike, thats more like about the time they pay off there bikes and try for a new one. But I can tell you, you like a bike it will be in the family well past 20,000

·
Registered
305 Posts
Anyone who says that add-ons don't increase the value of a bike is an idiot. It makes the bike much more appealing to the buyer since they know it'll cost them a lot more to modify a stock bike to the way they want it. I payed $10 grand for my bike which is older than the 2000 Dyna, so $12 grand seems like a good price to me. If you talk the seller down to $11 grand you'll be doing well.
I don't think they'd be an idiot because the add ons are only worth what the prospective buyers may want. I don't care how much some one spent on the add ons if I'm not that crazy about them. I probably wouldn't then by that bike. The market in different areas will always determine what kind of deal you can get. A friend here in NoVa just found an 03 RC classic with 9700 miles for 12 grand. But I think for the bike in question, 8 grand would be the most he should expect to get for an 11 year old bike. m2c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts