V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw out a heads up to those of you thinking about buying this product. I know that there have been threads on this item before, but I just wanted to vent a little frustration.

The first one I bought had the condensation problem with the LCD that has been discussed before. I went back to the dealer where I bought it with my receipt, and they gladly exchanged for a new one.

That was maybe 6 months ago. The one I currently have (had) has a dead battery already. Okay fine, but that seems unreasonable for something that doesn't get used much?

Anyway, I take the thing apart to access the battery. The "watch" battery is in there pretty tight, and I can't get it out with my fingers, so I decide to use a jeweler’s screwdriver to gentle pry the battery up. Well, I ended up popping the cheap surface mount solder contacts for the battery leads right off the printed circuit board inside the unit! What a poor design for something that is going to require routine battery changes!

Just wanted to keep a fellow rider from wasting $100

What is wrong with an analog dipstick oil temp gauge :dunno:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I've got the same one on my Ultra, but I've got the analog on my sporty.....Neither has fogged yet. The one on T-Bagger is now on it's 4th season and the one on Heywood is on it's third. Just a question of time before they start fogging. My buddy bought the digital last year and before fall it was foggin.....

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
maxwellpolish said:
What is wrong with an analog dipstick oil temp gauge :dunno:
I am on my second year with mine. Same battery, no fogging. I hope I am lucky and haven't just cursed myself.
I think you can't get an analog one for the touring bikes because of the movable dipstick. For some reason, you can't put a rigid one in.:dunno:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its good to hear about your problems. I saw these dip sticks and thought there were a good novelty item but sadly nothing worth spending the money on. Would rather spend that money on a gauge that shows oil temperature as I am driving. That is far more practical.
Sadly I have seen many of the items that Harley sells as accessories and most are not exactly the best made. Many are built in other countries and just dont give me the impression of quality. Actually I think the last time I brought any sort of accessory for my Ultra was at least three years ago.
Dan

·
Registered
322 Posts
first one i bought ..crapped out in three months

the replacement..did the same..they dont want to warranty it again so i sharpened the end..drilled a hole in my wall..and now use the pos as a coat hanger

·
Registered
967 Posts
I finally had a chance to see the new LCD Oil Temp/Level Dipstick. Looks pretty cool! My LCD Oil Temp has never given me any problems, but I'll admit I do handle with extreme care because of everything I've read on this forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oil temp guage

I have an analog one. What is the usual oil temperature you guys are reading? I seem to hover from 150 shortly after start to 200 or so. I have a digital gas guage with LED lights on it. It has a chrome look like cover of the LEDs that blew off at 70 the other day. Now I have BRIGHT leds. I went to get the part and you have to buy the whole guage! I wanted to get the maufacturers name and of course you can't get that from Harley. Keep it simple!

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
I bought this one from MoCo

Oil Level and Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Readout

Check your oil level and oil temperature with the push of a button. Add function and style by replacing your stock dipstick with this hard working version. No more grabbing a rag to pull your hot dipstick. No more oil drips on your pipes and on the garage floor. Simply push the button and this chrome dipstick lights up with brilliant blue backlight. Oil level is indicated with four segment readout - it even reminds you to check your oil when it is hot. Designed to be waterproof, the LCD display operates on a long-lasting, replaceable Lithium coin-type battery (CR2032 3V, P/N 66373-06). Display features a low battery indicator, and press-and-hold feature to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

62946-05

Fits '99-'06 Touring models except models equipped with a sidecar. Does not fit with Chrome Oil Filler Spout Cover P/N 66133-99.

MSRP US $134.95 - never pay MSRP

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
Ski5844 said:
Bountyhunter- Who makes this dip stick and where did you get it. This sounds interesting.
That is a HD part, new this year.

I just got mine last week, paid $115 delivered.

Only thing I don't like is that it only reads the oil level above 160 degrees, kind of a pain but no big deal.

Steve

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flstflee said:
first one i bought ..crapped out in three months

the replacement..did the same..they dont want to warranty it again so i sharpened the end..drilled a hole in my wall..and now use the pos as a coat hanger
Right On!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The original LCD temperature dipstick (not the new one that also measures the level), has been revised several times now (suffix "D" on current part number). As far as I know, they are still failing.
Seem to be taking after the infamous heated handgrips that would not last a month.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Triple Z said:
The original LCD temperature dipstick (not the new one that also measures the level), has been revised several times now (suffix "D" on current part number). As far as I know, they are still failing.
Yea, they have always been junk & nothings changed.

What really cracks me up is that new POS that is supposed to check your oil level also(talk about being lazy). I suppose using one to check your oil temp doesn't really matter because its not that critical anyway but I can't imagine trusting a POS like that to tell me my oil level(you've got to be kidding me)

The funniest thing is, either one will probably get stolen before it has a chance to break anyway....(might be easier to just tape a $100 bill to your gas tank)

~John

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
By the way, I have a brand new digital oil temp gauge for a Dyna sitting here unused(I got it as partial payment for some motor work I did for a friend). I will sell it real cheap if anyone wants it??

[email protected]

~John

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
18,000 miles and not a single problem. Same battery, no fogging. But I do handle it with care.

·
Registered
63 Posts
"The funniest thing is, either one will probably get stolen before it has a chance to break anyway....(might be easier to just tape a $100 bill to your gas tank)"

Ain't that the truth..I had my analog temp gauge replaced at Sturgis a few years ago with one that had a big crack on the face..at least he/she didn't leave me with a rag in the hole..Hahahhaaha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.