V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Yesterday, after President Bush used his sixth-ever veto to squash “a measure to fund education, job training and health programs,” he criticized the fiscal responsibility and spending priorities of “the majority” in Congress:

The majority was elected on a pledge of fiscal responsibility, but so far it’s acting like a teenager with a new credit card." http://thinkprogress.org/2007/11/14/bush-mcconnell-shelby-earmarks

Sounds like Bush is concerned about all those earmark funds being wasted by the Democrats to me. I certainly is about time the earmark trend in Washington gets stopped. But wait there is more to the story. According to Washington reports a large number of the earmarks in the Defence Bill are by President Bush; his own earmarks. George seemed to forget that he placed millions of dollars in the defence bill for various project of his own favor. One for a pet project of his wife: millions for librarians.

And while George points at the Democrats for placing earmarks in the budget he is vetoing it turns out the majority of the dollars for earmarks are for his fellow Republican lawmakers. "the single biggest earmark in the Labor-HHS-Education section of the bill belongs to Sen. Richard C. Shelby, R-Ala., who won $9.3 million for the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The second-largest was requested by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. — $8.4 million for the University of Louisville Research Foundation."

So while Dubya make his public lauding of the earmarks claiming of Democrats " they acting like drunken sailors with federal tax dollars” he forgets to admonish his own party and his own earmarks. I guess George did not do his homework on who was to blame for all the excessive spending in this bill.

Oh well there will be thousands of other bills George and his friends can place a few million into before the election changes the commander in chief. Not that I expect the earmarks to stop then either.

The saddest part in all this is the blatently open way these earmarks have escalated. The DC crew does not even seem to be hiding the earmarks any longer. They simply put a line in a bill and say its for things like their project XYZ and don't even take time to hide it. It use to be Pork as it was called in Washington politics now I just call it theft.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I definitely don't see why the Democrats felt these things needed to be part of this bill:

(I took this from our local paper) -

"The president described the legislation as "bloated," nearly $10 billion higher than he considers necessary. He particularly took issue with its 2,000 earmarks -- lawmaker-sponsored projects that critics call pork-barrel spending -- and noted the "wasteful projects" included a prison museum, sailing school and Portugese-as-a-second-language program."

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Wildchild said:
Well, I definitely don't see why the Democrats felt these things needed to be part of this bill:

(I took this from our local paper) -

"The president described the legislation as "bloated," nearly $10 billion higher than he considers necessary. He particularly took issue with its 2,000 earmarks -- lawmaker-sponsored projects that critics call pork-barrel spending -- and noted the "wasteful projects" included a prison museum, sailing school and Portugese-as-a-second-language program."
I agree completely.. Earmarks should be completely ILLEGAL.. Democrats and Republicans are both guilty of this BS and it has to stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts