·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oct. 7, 2007, 10:28AM
Bush fights Texas over Mexican's death row case

By MARK SHERMAN
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — To put it bluntly, Texas wants President Bush to get out of the way of the state's plan to execute a Mexican for the brutal killing of two teenage girls.

Bush, who presided over 152 executions as governor of Texas, wants to halt the execution of Jose Ernesto Medellin in what has become a confusing test of presidential power that the Supreme Court, which hears the case this week, ultimately will sort out.

The president wants to enforce a decision by the International Court of Justice that found the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners violated their rights to legal help as outlined in the 1963 Vienna Convention.

That is the same court Bush has since said he plans to ignore if it makes similar decisions affecting state criminal laws.

"The president does not agree with the ICJ's interpretation of the Vienna Convention," the administration said in arguments filed with the court. This time, though, the U.S. agreed to abide by the international court's decision because ignoring it would harm American interests abroad, the government said.

Texas argues that neither the international court nor Bush has any say in Medellin's case.

Medellin was born in Mexico but spent much of his childhood in the United States. He was 18 in June 1993, when he and other members of the Black and Whites gang in Houston encountered two teenage girls on a railroad trestle.

The girls were gang-raped and strangled. Their bodies were found four days later.

Medellin was arrested a few days later. He was told he had a right to remain silent and have a lawyer present, but the police did not tell him that he could request assistance from the Mexican Consulate.

Medellin gave a written confession. He was convicted of murder in the course of a sexual assault, a capital offense in Texas. A judge sentenced him to death in October 1994.

Medellin did not raise the lack of assistance from Mexican diplomats during his trial or sentencing. When he did claim his rights had been violated, Texas and federal courts turned him down because he had not objected at his trial. Mexico later sued the United States in the International Court of Justice in The Hague on behalf of Medellin and 50 other Mexicans on death row in the U.S.

Click the Clicky

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
No sympathy. Perhaps the famous Baretta quote applies, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime." Of course, he shouldn't have been here to commit the crime in the first place. Screw 'em.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
globalist B S

This is exactly how these globalist (Bush,Clinton,Kerry Etc.) continue to

usurp the constitution.

When any of the presidents decide to go along with the International Court in

the Hague, they are NOT:nope: upholding our constitution.

It's an ill informed,uneducated public that allow this crap to interfere with

the principals our country was founded FOR! Freedom and justice, equality.

Of course, the politicians are out at public restrooms looking for cheap thrills

screw mexico.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Bush loves illegal immigrants. I'm a little surprised he doesn't give this guy amnesty and a pardon.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
If we get in trouble in Mexico, the US does nothing for us, unless our family is well connected. They might not have the death penalty, but It might as well be one, you can starve to death in a Mecan prison.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the part that really got to me...

The president wants to enforce a decision by the International Court of Justice that found the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners violated their rights to legal help as outlined in the 1963 Vienna Convention.
What a slap in the face this is. I mean WTF???

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
One more reason Bush sucks. Real Republicans hate this guy.

When the Mexicans do take over, and they will, I guess they will be able to do whatever they want and get away with it. Much as it is now, only more so.

Non Mexicans, look out, your future is not too bright.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suspect Nabbed in Death of Texas Coed

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Ernesto Pina Reyes

Melanie Goodwin

DALLAS — A man accused in the death of a University of North Texas student two weeks ago was captured Tuesday in Mexico, Carrollton police said.

Carrollton police said that U.S. and Mexican authorities took 20-year-old Ernesto Reyes into custody as he left a family member's house in the Mexican town of Celaya Guanajuato, about four hours northeast of Mexico City.

The burned body of 19-year-old Melanie Goodwin was discovered on Sept. 25 near an office complex in Carrollton. A surveillance camera shows a man investigators believe is Reyes dragging a woman's body out of a car and setting it on fire.

Goodwin had been seen earlier that morning at a Denton convenience store near UNT. Security videotape from the Denton convenience store showed a man believed to be Reyes, and he allegedly asked Goodwin for a ride.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner said Goodwin died of multiple blunt force injuries.

Donovan Young has been charged with tampering with evidence in the case. Young told police that Reyes arrived at his apartment with Goodwin's body and asked for help disposing of it, according to an arrest affidavit.

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
Here is a discription of what happened that night FOURTEEN years ago. The pictures of the victims, and the idiot that wants international law to predominate US law.

"On a summer night in 1993, Jennifer Ertman and her friend Elizabeth Pena, both students at Houston's Waltrip High School, took a shortcut home through a park from another friend's house when they encountered Medellin and seven other members of the Black and Whites gang.

Raul Villareal, 17, was being initiated into the gang, which required him to fight other gang members for several minutes. Following the ritual, the teens sat in the park drinking beer.

Around 11:30 p.m., as Ertman and Pena passed the young men, Medellin grabbed Pena and dragged her down a hill.

According to court testimony, Ertman was able to run away but heard Pena's cries and returned to help. The other boys grabbed Ertman, and for the next hour proceeded to rape, sodomize and beat the girls before strangling them.

The final act of brutality came when the girl's bodies were stomped on to make sure they were dead, court testimony shows."

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I think that Bush has made a big blunder here and am quite suprised by this.

That said, I hate to drift this thread away from the subject, but here goes. Why is it that when GWB goes off and does something without the blessings of the better part of the world (i.e. Iraq) he's in the wrong, but then when he does decide to follow a world court he's also wrong.

You just can't have it both ways.

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
claytp1 said:
I think that Bush has made a big blunder here and am quite suprised by this.

That said, I hate to drift this thread away from the subject, but here goes. Why is it that when GWB goes off and does something without the blessings of the better part of the world (i.e. Iraq) he's in the wrong, but then when he does decide to follow a world court he's also wrong.

You just can't have it both ways.

It's a classic mistake. You try and please everyone, and you please no one.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
rgraham said:
It's a classic mistake. You try and please everyone, and you please no one.
It's a classic mistake...he forgot to consider the US citizens...period.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts