V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 HD 883. I just installed some new 12in handlebars; coming from the stock 4 inch bars. The kit is meant for these bars and everything went smoothly and worked perfectly ..... UNTIL I got to the clutch cable (which, at the time I thought was one of the easier things to install).
The length of the cable in the kit is 65in.
The clutch is very tight, though I sprayed some cable lubricant in it while I was installing it. Now, it feels a little more like normal.
However, there is a loud noise coming from the primary now.
I have turned the clutch mechanism until it lightly seats, or at least it feels correct.
When I readjust the cable I leave about 1/8" of free play as I've seen in other forums and the Clymer manual.

What is this noise and how do I fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Probably a silly question, but did you definitely turn the push rod adjuster inside the derby cover in the correct direction? After backing off the adjuster that's located half way along the cable, on the Big twins you turn the push rod adjuster clockwise till it bottoms and then back off 3/4 of a turn, whereas with the Sportys you turn it anticlockwise till it stops and then back off 1/8th of a turn. Then you take the play out of the cable at the adjuster on the cable until your lever has about 1/8" of play. Just putting it out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I turned counterclockwise. I have also kept 1/8” if play in the lever.
Thanks for replying by the way!

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
sounds like an installation and/or adjustment issue,,, not a burley issue... back track. find where you made your mistake and correct it...

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,664 Posts
I have a 2019 HD 883. I just installed some new 12in handlebars; coming from the stock 4 inch bars. The kit is meant for these bars and everything went smoothly and worked perfectly ..... UNTIL I got to the clutch cable (which, at the time I thought was one of the easier things to install).
The length of the cable in the kit is 65in.
The clutch is very tight, though I sprayed some cable lubricant in it while I was installing it. Now, it feels a little more like normal.
However, there is a loud noise coming from the primary now.
I have turned the clutch mechanism until it lightly seats, or at least it feels correct.
When I readjust the cable I leave about 1/8" of free play as I've seen in other forums and the Clymer manual.

What is this noise and how do I fix it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Maybe you should try telling us what the noise is since you are the one hearing it.

What is loud? When do you hear this noise? Do you feel anything when you hear it?

Are you able to ride the bike?

What is the significance of the length of the cable? Is it too long? Too short?

You sprayed lubricant in the clutch or the cable? Was the clutch tight or the cable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you should try telling us what the noise is since you are the one hearing it.

What is loud? When do you hear this noise? Do you feel anything when you hear it?

Are you able to ride the bike?

What is the significance of the length of the cable? Is it too long? Too short?

You sprayed lubricant in the clutch or the cable? Was the clutch tight or the cable?
  • The noise is a grinding/whining, coming from the primary.
  • It is loud.
  • I hear the noise when releasing the clutch.
  • I don’t quite feel anything when I hear it.
  • I’m not able to ride the bike.
  • The cable is 64inch, it’s what came with the cable; the reason for me including the length is that when I posted this I thought that might be a reason. However, burley does the measurements with he cable correctly and I have narrowed it down that the length of the cable is not the reason for the difficulties.
  • Yes lubricant was sprayed in the cable.
  • The clutch cable is tight.
  • Also, thank you for actually being of help I appreciate the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts