V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my crank runout is just over spec, and motor is making a lot of noise and vibrating now. Still riding it, just not far from the house. $ucks because it runs the best it ever has since i got it dialed in. I have plans for minimum 116 but probably a 124 going in the bike as soon as i have the funding(late winter hopefully)....Different story though...

Since i consider my self an abuser to be blunt about it, what would you guys include in your build to make bike be able to handle the power. Here is my thoughts.....

*Baker DD5(yes DD5 not 6). They are supposed to be about the strongest bolt in gearset and still have most of the DD6 features minus 6th gear. Not saying the DD6 is not strong as i have installed them in some pretty stout bikes now and all is good, just personally dont need the 6th gear for another grand
*Baker sprocket spacer
*Baker high torque sealed bearing kit for the inner primary
*Convert to rear chain drive???I would like to for piece of mind. Does anyone have a brand preference or type of chain thats prefered for a bagger?
*I already have a rivera pro clutch. I would just maybe get new discs for it and install the VPC head on the existing assembly.
*New primary chain???
*Poly motor mounts and rear stabo?

Would this plan cover everything that would need to be addressed?
I was just wondering as i was going to reinforce the rest of the drivetrain now as price wise all this shouldnt be too bad. It also wouln't hurt to do it before....

thanks....Chop....

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
how about a JIMS Fat 5? another strong tranny.

My project is using a Tsubaki 530 size final drive chain. Seems to be a good one.

We like Energy One clutch discs. Especially their ceramic carbon.

Talk to Otto about bagger frame/stability mods, he'll give you some ideas.

Sorry to hear you've got some motor issues there! You know what the cures are.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tote, I briefly looked at the Fat 5. I didn't research too much but will look into more tomorrow for sure. I just love Baker and they say that tranny is good to 200hp with the one piece fifth/countershaft...I will absolutely call Otto about pointers on fram mods when the time comes...thanks!
Just peeked at the fat 5..Looks to be about 3k for the gearset only...Nice, absolutely, but Baker my be in the budget more...

How bout a new andrews gearset and having it backcut???

George, though about it..Even went to look at a couple 'busas and r1's...Many reasons it wont work for me.. No room for another, insurance for me would be BAD as i already pay 1200/yr for this pig. LOL and wouldnt be able to ride with the guys i do now.....I figure this is the last bike i will have for a long time, lets make it bad. What you picking up George?dont make me come down there.

·
Seasoned Wrench
509 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
i thought about going bigger but changed direction. its just way more then i can spend with out justifying to the wife and to me its not worth it any more.
I'm with you on that one bro. If I go ape chit and drop a chunk of cash on the bike and it means I have to cut out something I usually do for the wife.....she's not gonna be too happy about it at all. It sounds to me that you have thought out the situation. We have the 24 hour rule on any purchases over $300. In other words, sleep on it and see if you still need it in the morning. With the bike, I have the 72 hour rule for myself on anything over $500. I am amazed at how much money I have saved from not buying on a whim. It took me almost a year to plan, price and put together everything I needed for my twin cam build. Doing it this way saved me a huge chunk of change. You know how it works....you make that big purchase and then the following month it goes on sale. I hate it when that happens!

peace--

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
TXCHOP said:
Well, my crank runout is just over spec, and motor is making a lot of noise and vibrating now. Still riding it, just not far from the house. $ucks because it runs the best it ever has since i got it dialed in. I have plans for minimum 116 but probably a 124 going in the bike as soon as i have the funding(late winter hopefully)....Different story though...

Since i consider my self an abuser to be blunt about it, what would you guys include in your build to make bike be able to handle the power. Here is my thoughts.....

*Baker DD5(yes DD5 not 6). They are supposed to be about the strongest bolt in gearset and still have most of the DD6 features minus 6th gear. Not saying the DD6 is not strong as i have installed them in some pretty stout bikes now and all is good, just personally dont need the 6th gear for another grand
*Baker sprocket spacer
*Baker high torque sealed bearing kit for the inner primary
*Convert to rear chain drive???I would like to for piece of mind. Does anyone have a brand preference or type of chain thats prefered for a bagger?
*I already have a rivera pro clutch. I would just maybe get new discs for it and install the VPC head on the existing assembly.
*New primary chain???
*Poly motor mounts and rear stabo?
Would this plan cover everything that would need to be addressed?
I was just wondering as i was going to reinforce the rest of the drivetrain now as price wise all this shouldnt be too bad. It also wouln't hurt to do it before....

thanks....Chop....
Danny, here's what I've learned and experienced reference the highlighted above.
Poly motormounts are tough, and hold the motor down in the frame. That increases vibrations. Not too bad, but noticable.

Sta-bo's. Kevin's a great guy and makes a nice product, and the price is right. I had them in my bike and took them out. I didn't like the vibrations they made. After some time, I read in here about lubricating them to stop the vib's. I called Kevin, and got another set. Lubed the heck out of them with Lubriplate. Slid right in like a sloppy old wh**e on a Friday night. The vib's were less, but still too much. My bike makes a buzz right in the cruise range, and it was not tolerable for me. My mirrors blurred, my fairing shook so much buzzed, and I just hated it. Felt like an old rigid mounted shovelhead with a hole in the piston.

Now, having said that, there is a TON of folks out here who run and love Sta-bo's. They do WORK! They hold the azz end down and stop about 99% of the wobble. I've since gone to one of the bolt to your tranny methods for controlling bagger wobble.

I like the product, I like it's simplicity, I like it's design. My bike however, HATES Sta-bo's. If anyone is looking at them and thinking about trying them by all means do it!

Hope this helps!!!

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, thanks for the evaluations on your bike. You got a p.m...!

The newer 1 inch axles should be good right???I have seen the old ones break but then again I will only have a 150 tire for a while. That will only be for a little while though as i am thinking of using the hogpro fat tire kit eventually...

I also assume the stock primary setup will be good as i have seen lots of 124 evo crate motors in choppers with no problems...Any thoughts????

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
TXCHOP said:

The newer 1 inch axles should be good right???I have seen the old ones break but then again I will only have a 150 tire for a while. That will only be for a little while though as i am thinking of using the hogpro fat tire kit eventually...

I also assume the stock primary setup will be good as i have seen lots of 124 evo crate motors in choppers with no problems...Any thoughts????

One of the cool bikes Otto did, was for a guy named Bill. It was a mid 80's bagger that they rehab-ed with modern fairing, tank, bags, seat, 6spd, taller gear, etc. He then installed a new but completely gone through S&S 124 that he brought up to standards and breathed on it a bit. The bike got a beautiful coat of balck cherry custom paint with ghost airbrush work and new wheels. It looks nothing like the original bike and as Otto says, it will cruise all day long at max super slab speeds and has unbelieveable power just by twisting the throttle a bit.

After I saw this bike and saw what it came from, to what it is today.... I want one! :)

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
TXCHOP said:

Your stock primary setup will be just fine, but one change I would make is to the starter ring gear and the jack shaft pinion gear. My bike, in various stages of me playing with it, went thru 4 ring gear setups. The newer ones have finer teeth on the ring and pinion, and if it has any "kick back" when starting, you'll blow teeth off the starter ring. I went to an 89/9 (I think!) tooth ratio. No more blown teeth!!!:wootdnc:

The 1" axles made a HUGE difference, if you snap one of those, you might not want to ride that beast on the highway!!!!!:harhar:

Oh yea, what George says.................. chain!!!!!

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no, chain is a must for me...I guess i will call baker on the front sprocket and chain and find the right tooth rear sprocket....I am looking to keep about the same drive ratio....

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
I hear ya. and i feel for ya. most of the guys i ride with are a$$ holes any way so theres no love lost between us. i just got a quote on insurance for the v-max from progressive 239.00/yr.. for the busa its 1900 and some change. i have to call them tomorrow to see how much it will be for the ducati1098.
My parts should be done soon ill let you know how it turns out.

i thought about going bigger but changed direction. its just way more then i can spend with out justifying to the wife and to me its not worth it any more.
You hit the nail squarely on the head. In my case, the bike runs fine, gives me no problems and the thought of pissing away a lot more $$ before it's needed just feels wrong. Starting at ground zero and redoing all I've done would easily put me at about what a new busa will cost... so I'm looking at used ones!;)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
So how bad was it,that made you checkthe run out? I like to ask people, how they knew they had a problem, file away.

Either way, sounds like fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts